Beautiful Upcycled Map Angel Wall Decor

$1

I made some fun giant wall decor for my home out of maps. I have made a wonderful portrait of my dog out of maps before and wanted to make something else with maps that was more generic.

Being stuck at home at the moment and not being able to get out to the shops I wanted to craft something with the stuff around me. I find crafting very therapeutic as I get immersed in it, I soon forget about any anxiety and worries. With this craft not only was it absorbing and soothing but I also got to make something for my wall that was a symbol of calm and protection in these unsettling times.

All I used to make this wall decor was an old road map and some Amazon cardboard packaging. Along with a bit of glue.

First, I drew out an angel wing shape onto the cardboard packaging. If you are not confident of drawing one yourself there is a free template on the blog link at the end.

I cut out 2 angel wings shape from the cardboard.

Next, I cut out three different sized feather templates in cardboard. Again the free template can be downloaded from the blog.

I drew around the feather templates onto the back of the road maps and then cut them out.

I cut out about 11 small feathers, 15 medium feathers and 23 large feathers for each wing. Note that you will have 2 sets of feathers that are the mirror image of each other one for the left wing and the other for the right wing.

Depending on the size of your wings you will need more or less feathers for each wing.

Starting at the bottom of each wing, I glued down the largest feathers first. Then as I moved up the wing the feathers got smaller.

Overlap the feathers as you add each row.

When you get to the top of wing simply snip off an excess feathers.

The finished wings can then be simply hung in a frame. They are very light, so just need some double sided mounting tape to fix them. I hang mine above my bed.

These angel wings would make a lovely gift especially if you use maps of somewhere that is special to recipient. If you don't have any maps there are lots of free maps to download on this site.

I think a map of Los Angeles would be great just because the name is so apt.

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Deb Grushcow
    Deb Grushcow

Love the look! How do you seal the paper for longevity?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue
      Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thank you, I didn't need to seal the paper as they were printed road maps so designed to last a long time.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

When I first saw the picture, I thought the wings were fabric. They did not look to me like they were made from vintage maps. I suppose one never knows where creativity will take you.