Garbage/Recycle Storage Box

$70

Cover up those ugly garbage and recycle bins with a storage box! Since we don't have an attached garage, our bins sit on our side porch and... it looks like garbage. I wanted something to cover them up that was simple, but also matched our house.

This tutorial is perfect for you if you're looking to cover something up along your house: propane tank, air conditioning unit, hoses, or other eye sores!

Supplies & Tools

This is the side of our porch and what you see when you pull in the driveway. Ew! I can't believe that I didn't cover these up sooner.

Supplies for this project:

• 2x2x8 lumber (x2)
  • 1x3x8 lumber (x4)
  • 4x8 sheet of lattice/trellis
  • Hinges (2 pack)
  • Hook & eye

Tools for this project:

• Mitre saw and/or skill saw
  • Brad nailer and/or screw driver
  • Pocket hole jig
  • Paint or stain

Lumber

Your cuts for this project will depend on the size you need your box to be. My box is going to be 4' tall, 4' wide, and 2' deep. I picked this size because it will use exactly one sheet of the white lattice (and obviously big enough to cover my bins).

Cuts:

• 2x2's: 4 @ 4' (posts)
  • 1X3's: 2 @ 4' (gate frame top and bottom), 2 @ 41" (gate frame sides), 4 @ 24" (side panels top and bottom), 2 @ 51" (rear braces)

White privacy lattice

Cuts: 4'x4', 2'x4', 2'x4'

Hardware

I really liked the matte black hardware for a "farmhouse" look!

Paint

Once your lumber is cut, paint or stain the colour of your choice. I'm doing white to match the white lattice.

Frame

First, I made the front frame which will be the gate/door. I wanted this to sit a few inches off the ground, so the finished size should be 4' wide and 45 1/2" tall.

I made two pocket holes in the top and bottom pieces of wood to screw into the side pieces.

Front frame/gate

Here's my gate frame done and with the hardware attached. (Don't mind my basement walls... this is my workshop space when it's a little too cold in the garage!)

Side frames

Attach the 4 pieces of 24" 1x3's to the 4 posts (2x2's) to make the side panels. I attached the bottom piece about 2" off the ground to match the gate which will also sit slightly off the ground.

Attach the lattice

Your 4'x4' piece of lattice will have to be trimmed by about 3" to accommodate for the gate being slightly less than 4' tall. Your two 2'x4' pieces should also be trimmed if your side panels do not go all the way to the ground.

The lattice cuts easily with a jig saw and will attach easily to the back side of your panels/gate with a brad nailer. I used 5/8" brad nails along the entire lattice.

Attach panels together

Here are the finished panels! I brought these outside on the porch to put together.

Attach your gate to the one side panel using the hinge hardware. The tops should all the flush. Your other side panel will attach to the opposite side using your 2 51" 1x3's (you may also use a different lumber for this, depending on how big your box is and how much it needs to be braced).

I screwed in the 2 rear braces into the middle and bottom of the back posts. These braces also got screwed into the siding of the house to stay in place.

Attach your hook and eye to the gate and side post.

Done!

Enjoy your cleaned up porch, garden, or whatever it is you wanted to cover up! I think our dog, Sierra, is enjoying it too :)

For more ideas and ongoing projects, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!

Insta: @farmhouse.ongunnshill

Facebook: Lauren Ann Design

~Lauren

• Savannah

What a great idea!

• Jancy

Cute idea! I'd love to "hide" the garbage cans. The other problem I have are bears! I know they make "bear proof" trash cans. Too expensive! Any help in this area?

• Mina Staulp

I live in Colorado not to far from a river... and pretty much the 'predator highway' that includes Mama bears and their cubs. Love the bleach idea... but I'm not always dealing with the same bear. I own some 'good bear proof' containers that were not that expensive through 'True Value Hardware' that I had them specialize order. Then I got 'ceramic knobs', the screws , and a small electric mesh fence they have for free range poultry. the 'knobs ' hold the poultry fence away from the wood panels... I use a Christmas extension with clicker to turn on and off the poultry fence. Because we can be forgetful we added LED strand into the Christmas outlet if the LEDs are on the fence is on... No magpies... No Raccoons, No Mama Bears ( and I think we are training them to avoid Christmas lighting..... ) We have installed a mini cam but only because it was there before we figured out the electric poultry netting... And every so often we get a BIG bear that could care less what he is getting shocked with. Hope this help all.

• Elsie

I was just curious as to why you didn't put them on the side of your house instead of in the front on the porch

• Pat

This is not a question it’s just a beautiful idea I don’t have garbage on my porch but the side of the house that would still look great thank you

• Tonya

But you can still do that on the side of the house, I did. To me it’s just so unsightly to see trash cans. Especially when you live in have a beautiful house.

• Katrina

Beautiful job