From Trash to Fairy Garden

$40

The large fire pit in our yard sat unused for years. It became a popular digging spot for my child and pets. I grew tired of picking up the stones and cleaning the soot filled dirt off of my pets. I finally decided to do something about it and turn it into a fairy garden.

The fire pit became an eye sore in our yard. It needed to go. The first step was to clean it out. I chose to leave the bottom row of stones where they were because the grass had already been killed off. I played around with several designs before sticking with one I liked. I arranged the stones into a crescent moon on the back side of the fire pit. This gave the garden some dimension.

Although Home Depot's nursery was scarce, I ended up finding a few options that would work. I chose plants with varying bloom times so the garden would be in bloom Spring to Fall. I also chose plants with varying heights to give dimension. Before I get digging I like to play around with the layout of the plants. If you have plants that will grow taller you'll want them in the back. If you have plants that will grow wider you'll want them in the middle or back depending on growth height. I typically stick to perennials to avoid having to replant each year. For this project I chose Dianthus, English Daisy and Candytuft.

I had purchased pond stones to use in the walkway of a different garden space, but realized they weren't going to work there. Fortunately I ended up having the perfect amount for the fairy garden. Laying the stone was time consuming, but well worth it in the end. I did one handful at a time to avoid crushing or damaging the plants.

I have a ton of fairy garden pieces I've collected over the years so I chose a few and played around with placement. It's so fun to create tiny villages within gardens!

Unfortunately one of my Candytuft did not survive, but I planted Echinacea in its place. Gardening is a lot of trial and error, but the results are worth the hardwork. This fairy garden has become such a sweet spot for us all to enjoy.

• Monica Ragan Green

I have a Gnome home made out of a tree stump and it has a fenced in yard. So last fall I made a semicircle out side of the fence. I placed little gnomes and little farm people in this area. I have been looking for a way to make it really stand out... because of your post I have the perfect way to do that now. Thank you for the inspiration.

• Amanda Breaux

Love this idea. I have collected so much stone, rock, garden decor over the last 6 months in order to complete several projects and had so much left over I was at a loss for what to do with it all. Fairy garden construction begins tomorrow thanks to this idea! I'm already having so much fun!