Farmhouse Industrial Fixture for Under $20

$20

How I turned this dated, contractor grade light into a farmhouse industrial fixture for only $20.

The contractor grade light fixture was not our style. So we took it down and gave it an easy affordable upgrade.

I started by removing the finials on each side of the fixture and replaced them with 1” plumping caps that you can find at hardware store. I got mine for only $1 each! 

The frosted glass shades also needed to go and I was inspired by the caged bulb look I’ve seen on some very expensive fixtures. To replicate the look for cheap I started with three hard plastic cages from Home Depot for just under $5 apiece.

All it took to make this look like an expensive custom fixture was a little spray paint.

For the fixture base I used two light coats of bronze and for the cages I used an under coat of aged copper and a light coat of bronze on top. 

Make sure you cover all areas that shouldn’t be sprayed. Use painter's tape to cover electrical and bulb sockets.

The cages tightened onto the existing base with tiny screws that were included and then it was time to reinstall. 

This DIY was super easy and affordable. I love the farmhouse industrial vibe!

• JR

So, to replace a lightbulb?

• Kari

The cages come off like any light fixture cover.

• JR

I’d like to try this but have questions. When Chang a light bulb does it just screw off or does the screw included in the cage need to be unscrewed too?

• Alisha Lime

I unscrew the cage and take it off to replace a bulb. However, I now use only LED bulbs which rarely need to be replaced.

• RichandTammy Whiteside

Love this look. Do the cages throw any weird shadows that affect the lighting?