Water Jug Door Hanger

$20

I've scoured the internet searching for ideas for my door hanger this month. I saw these cute watering cans and decided to give it a try. There were so many different versions but I knew I wanted mine to be made out of a real watering jug that I had laying around.

Choose Your Jug

I already owned this jug from Home Depot, but was going to recycle it as I don't like how the water sprays. So this is an upcycle. AKA a win!

Score the perimeter lines

Using your utility knife, cut along the seams of the jug that you are able to reach. TIP: make multiple light passes before trying to cut deeply. That will make it a lot easier to get all the way through.

To reach under the handle, just open the jug up once you've cut the outside in two.

Spray Paint

Choose your spray paint. I went with Rustoleum Hammered in Dark Bronze. I love the texture that it gives the container.

Gather your flowers

I didn't use all the flowers here. I had to play around with to see what I actually liked. After all, I am no florist.

Assemble

I used my glue gun to get the flowers to stay. I found it easiest to assemble while hanging on the door. The jug is hanging by its handle.

Enjoy

Now you can enjoy a bright new Spring door decor every time you walk into your home.

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy

• Jay
    Jay

What is the best paint for a no ventilated bathroom?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Hi Jay,

Are you asking what is the best paint to paint a bathroom that does not have a vent fan to

a/reduce the unpleasant scent of paint during the project

or

b/to try to reduce the accumulation of moisture build up that leads to mildew on the walls?

• Sherri
    Sherri

Geat idea! Did you put anything on the back of the watering can or just leave it open? TIA

• Robin
      Robin

Or you could put a block of dry floral foam in the jug and use it to arrange the flowers! I think I just found my spring “wreath” 😎 Great project! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Susan Mercurio
    Susan Mercurio

Your fake plants are too short for the container. Best to pull them up and add some height.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

My suggestion to improve this project is to glue a small vine or two cascading down over the side of the jug, on top of the measurements in the plastic. That would hide them, and draw the eye more to the flowers, rather than to the markings that are presently distracting.