How to Make a Curved Face Mask

$0

I’ve made a lot of face masks over the past two months and I would love to show my current favorite. If you go to the website for the pattern, you will see they have many versions. Pick what you are looking for. They have ones with ties and ones with filter pockets. So if you are looking for those designs you can find it here.

Here is the website:

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

There are four different sizes for the template that I am showing today. I will be showing you the women/teenager size.

Print out your pattern

I printed out two copies because I love this pattern and had trouble finding it again when I lost one of my paper patterns.

Lining Fabric Pattern

I pick two fabrics, one for the lining and a main fabric for the outside. Place and pin your pattern on two layers of fabric.

I like to fold over my main fabric, if it has a pattern because I think it looks better. So like the lining, pin your paper pattern to two layers of main fabric.

Since I used folded over material, I have to snip the small portion of connected fabric to get two pieces.

Right sides together pin down the side shown. My lining is the same on both sides so either is correct at this point.

Sew down the curved side of main fabric

You will sew down the curved side of your main fabric, back stitching at beginning and the end.

Sew down the curved side of the lining

You will sew down the lining’s curved side. Back stitching at beginning and end.

Now take your two pieces and place them together right sides together, wrong sides facing outward.

Pin them in place.

Sew down each side, leaving the ends open.

When both sides are sewn, it will look like this.

Using One of the open ends, turn right side out.

My elastic kept getting tangled so I keep it on a paper towel roll with a binder clip to keep track of the end.

Because I hated measuring 10 inches each time, I marked a strip of masking tape to make it easier.

I tie it like this and leave the knot to the outside so that if someone wants it smaller, it is slightly adjustable.

I iron the ends and then add a ten inch piece of elastic.

Pin the elastic in place on each side.

I sew right along side of the elastic, back stitching at the beginning and end.

All done!

I’ve also made some using T-shirt yarn for ties. Would anyone like a tutorial on that version?

• Maryanne

Where do you go to print the pattern?

• Nina

Is there a way to add a filter to this design?

• Nikki Wynne

How are you attaching the tshirt yard ties?

• Susan
      11 minutes ago

You just pull the tie through the "pocket" on each end; no sewing involved. This is for a mask that is tied on (no elastic).

• Anne Collet Anderson

Thank you! Easy to follow and make!

• Lyn Hinton

You just need to say ‘elastic cording’. I already bought about 7 yards of 1/4” elastic. Probably won’t matter. Looks easy-just have to make it!