DIY Wooden Backsplash

$50

If your looking for an inexpensive way to upgrade your kitchen this DIY backsplash is a fraction of the cost per tile and has a major WOW factor!

Video Link

Here is a link to my DIY video showing you exactly how to get this look!

Cut Your Tiles

DO NOT OPERATE THE TABLE SAW IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW** Ask for help and practice proper PPE

I am a licensed Carpenter by trade.

I cut my boards down to 3 1/2 inches wide (they are 1 inches thick)

BUT the trick to this DIY is once they are cut to width you will then turn them on their 1inch edge, raise your blade and cut them into TWO boards. Now instead of having just one board thats 3 1/2 inches wide you have two.

How thick they are doesn't matter because its not structural and this allows you to only need to buy HALF of the square footage you need because you turn one board into two.

Cut to Length

Then I cut my tiles to 6 inches long so i end up with 3/12 wide by 6in length and just under 1/2 thick.

Stain

Then I stained each piece. I used three different color stains that I had to create dimensions when I put them on the wall. light medium and dark

I suggest staining them first instead of staining them on the wall, a lot less mess this way.

GLUE

Once all of your pieces are dried, bring them inside and start to glue them on with PL Premium (Construction grade adhesive)

TIP: Once your pieces are dry you can top coat them in a waterproof shellac the same way, before they go on OR you can wait and do it when they are all in place on your backsplash

Admire!

Your all done! For a fraction of the cost you can really make your backsplash pop!

Click the video link in the beginning of my tutorial to see how i cut out around the outlets, its a great how-to when you can see it happening.

Happy DIY-ing!

• Diana

What are the three stain colors you used.

• Mecy

I love the idea and I’m going to try it. ? Can you tell me the size of the boards ? Thank you

• Kimmyk

Is there any need to grout in between?