Extra Large DIY Headboard/Art

$35

My kid's have Kura Beds from Ikea and if you've seen them, you know they're pretty plain and boxy. I wanted to create a "headboard" that made the bed look larger and doubled as a impactful statement piece.

Before Shot of the bed

First we laid the frame out on the floor where we were building it. Then we screwed all the pieces together, at this point it looked like a huge rectangle but I couldn't capture it well in a photo.

Once it's screwed together, stretch the canvas over the frame and staple it.

While you staple, make sure you are pulling the canvas taut.

Stretching and Stapling all the way around

Trim the excess canvas

Attach To Wall

First, find your studs and mark them.

We pre-drilled our holes in the frame.

Then we started on the top and worked our way around, one person held it, while the other person drilled.

We used black screws that looked just like knots in the wood.

We did four screws on each side, where there wasn't a stud, we used a drywall anchor.

Selfie for Scale

Painting!

For me, this was the best part. I had sketched up some options and let me son pick which he liked better. I said this option was a camera, and he picked it....(whatever he wants to think).

I used some scientific materials to sketch the basic pattern first; a level and a lamp shade. The rest I free-handed.

TaDa!!

You can do this for any bed. It would look cool on a canopy bed back, or a boho platform bed, even behind a couch, or just as a huge statement piece of art in any room. There are endless options.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

• Kelly J. Tinney

Can we just talk about the dog? I mean, come on! That cuteness is on point!

The light fixture is so cool!

• Gail

So the bed? You have to duck everytime you get in it or bend down to kiss him goodnight?

• Niki - Stevi Lily Designs

My son is 4, so the bar is fine for him. If you were an adult getting in and out then it would be an issue, kissing him is not an issue, we’ve never hit our heads bending in to kiss him. We have it for our older son, but the bed then reversed and is like a bunk bed with a loft underneath.

• Jutta

I think it's great. Your little guy loves it that is the main thing. I am disappointed in the negative responses. If you don't like it why are you commenting?

• Flipturn

Another outcome of people having nothing to do is spending time on projects that others may not understand the meaning of, what the goal was, or what was the person doing the project was trying to achieve.

Sometimes art is made only as an individual creative outlet and to take ones mind off of other serious thoughts.

• Nichole White

If you can’t paint, you could use a printed fabric shower curtain to tack around the frame ;)

• Flipturn

The large size of the frame adds dimension to the room because it is connected to the bed, and helps to balance the rug.

For a kid's room though, I would add more color to the wall art.