Lamp Makeover

$8

Hey it's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. Now that the weather is warming up, I can spray paint outside! So today I'm going to show you a mini-makeover I did on some wall-mounted lamps in my husband's new closet office.

Before

I started with these old wall-mounted lamps. I really like their shape, and they still work great. But I want to use some gold accents in the new closet office, and these are just begging to be painted gold. Don't you think?

Rough up the surface

I started by roughing up the surface with some sandpaper. This will help the paint stick later.

As you can see, I sanded in both directions.

Wipe down.

I wiped them down with a damp rag to remove any dust.

Tape

I taped around the cord with Frog tape, and sealed the rest of the cord into a gallon Zip-lock bag to protect it from the paint.

I also covered the light socket with tape to be sure no spray paint gets inside.

Spray the first coat.

Metallic spray paint needs to be shaken really well, or you're going to have pigment separation. And no one wants that. I always start with a very light coat of spray paint. I hold the can about 10" from the target and move it back and forth. I'm not going for full coverage with this coat- just a light misting. Then I let that dry for about ten minutes.

Spray the second coat.

Now come back and spray them again with a more thorough, but not too heavy coat of paint. Again, hold the can about 10" from the target and move it back and forth, overshooting the edges so you don't end up with drips. Be sure to cover the inside, bottom, and all exposed surfaces. Let it dry overnight, and you're done!

I'm so excited about how these turned out! The gold finish is perfect, and I love how it makes the lamps stand out from the wall. You can see the rest of our bold closet office makeover here! And come see this fun and easy hand-painted accent wall too!

Jessica Welling Interiors