Create a Huge Piece of DIY Abstract Artwork for Your Home

$20

I have a huge piece of DIY abstract artwork that I created a while ago for my bedroom. When my friend saw it, she instantly asked me to create a similar piece for her home as well. Being the good friend that I am, and never wanting to give up a chance to get creative, I of course said yes! This project is easy to do and fully customizable to your home’s aesthetic. Change the size or color scheme according to your home and preferences, and you’ll have a real conversation starter in no time!

DIY Abstract Art

Tools and Materials:

• Large canvas (I used one that was 120cmx100cm, but you can choose one according to what you’re looking to make)
  • Medium sized paintbrush
  • Acrylic paint (I used red, white, and black)
  • Gold leaf
  • Water
Acrylic Paint

I didn’t really break this project into steps, as it’s more of a “create as you go” piece. I only bought three paint colors, but using these colors I was able to create many more shades and colors. This is mainly due to the fact that I chose white and black as two of my colors. Add either of them to another color and you can easily lighten or darken it, or combine them together and you have grey. 

Paint Splotches

I painted splotches in different shades of grey and pink all over the canvas, sticking gold leaf down as I went. It’s important not to completely stick down the gold leaf, as we’ll be removing some of it at the end.

Add Gold Leaf

Continue painting in whatever pattern you like. It looks nice when you break up the colors a bit with a line of black or a darkened red, but really just let your imagination guide you as you paint.

Add Drips

I also added some paint drips and splashes of paint here and there.

Brush Gold Leaf Away

Once I was happy with the work and the paint had dried, I took a dry brush and brushed off the excess gold leaf, leaving craggy shapes of gold leaf. This makes the piece look less neat and more rugged, and I simply love it!

Homemade Abstract Art

Has my piece inspired you? Take a crack at some abstract artwork yourself and tell me about it in the comments down below!

• Doodle

is the white part just the plain canvas?

• Doodle

Did you apply the gold leaf to the paint and no adhesive? Great work!

youn

• Pamela

Anyone can do this type of painting. That's the joy You don't have to be an "artist" to do it. Just decide what colors you want to use, sketch out some designs in pencil, and apply the paint! The results can be amazing just like yours!

• Flipturn

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.