DIY Painting Terracotta Pots

$10

Tired of the traditional look of terracotta plant pots? Painting terracotta pots is a fun way to add color to your home or garden. In this tutorial for how to paint terracotta pots you’ll also learn: what paint to use on terracotta plant pots, how to prepare your pots for painting, and how to seal clay pots.

For this project, I decided to paint a matching set of pots for my indoor plants.

I have a few pots that have been laying around. I decided to painted the 3 pots in different shapes but same color.

Unless you’re exceptional with a paintbrush, it helps to use guides to get straight lines. Since I wanted to do stripes, I started by taping off

Once taped, you can start painting the pots. Be sure to wait in between coats to let the paint dry, so it doesn’t pull. 

Most people pile off the tape before it dries off however for me I waited for the painted to dry then piled off the paint

This was a pretty easy fun project that I worked with my 3 year old son and he really enjoyed it. How different does this look

• Jochelyn

What paint did you used?

• Ticia

I think they look very nice but isn't the purpose of using terra cotta to allow excess water to drain off and so air can get into the plant as opposed to a plastic container? You did a nice job and thanks for sharing.

• Styleboxkenya

Thank you. I actually use both terracotta and plastic pots for my plants and they both drain water well.

• I love the shape of that little rounded bottom pot. Where did you find it?

• Leslie

LOL, I was thinking the same thing about the little kettle shaped pot.

• MADI

Love the look and the plants are so lush and healthy looking. And cannot leave out your beautiful upholstered chairs, my favorite colors.

• Styleboxkenya

Thank you for this