DIY Painting Terracotta Pots

$10

Tired of the traditional look of terracotta plant pots? Painting terracotta pots is a fun way to add color to your home or garden. In this tutorial for how to paint terracotta pots you’ll also learn: what paint to use on terracotta plant pots, how to prepare your pots for painting, and how to seal clay pots.

For this project, I decided to paint a matching set of pots for my indoor plants.

I have a few pots that have been laying around. I decided to painted the 3 pots in different shapes but same color.

Unless you’re exceptional with a paintbrush, it helps to use guides to get straight lines. Since I wanted to do stripes, I started by taping off

Once taped, you can start painting the pots. Be sure to wait in between coats to let the paint dry, so it doesn’t pull. 

Most people pile off the tape before it dries off however for me I waited for the painted to dry then piled off the paint

This was a pretty easy fun project that I worked with my 3 year old son and he really enjoyed it. How different does this look

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous

• Barbara Gulotta

Shoukd the terra cotta be coated with anything before painting?

• Styleboxkenya

I went straight to painting with Acrylic paint. Just make sure the pot is clean before painting

• Jochelyn

What paint did you used?

• Ticia

I think they look very nice but isn't the purpose of using terra cotta to allow excess water to drain off and so air can get into the plant as opposed to a plastic container? You did a nice job and thanks for sharing.

• Styleboxkenya

Thank you. I actually use both terracotta and plastic pots for my plants and they both drain water well.

• I love the shape of that little rounded bottom pot. Where did you find it?

• Kyralee

Me too! That size/shape is really cool.

• Leslie

LOL, I was thinking the same thing about the little kettle shaped pot.

• MADI

Love the look and the plants are so lush and healthy looking. And cannot leave out your beautiful upholstered chairs, my favorite colors.

• Styleboxkenya

Thank you for this