Hanging Kitchen Shelves & Styling Tips

$50

We wanted some extra storage for our kitchen that matched better than the free standing shelf we had before!

Finished Product!!

BEFORE

Here's the shelf we were using before. It was Okay, but not great.

Drawing Up What I Might Want

I drew this in the paint app on my phone. I just wanted to estimate what kind of design I was thinking about before I researched the pieces.

Clear the Space

Here's the wall without anything on it.

Painters Tape on the Wall To Determine Length, Height, and Number of Shelves

We used Painter's tape to mark off the height of the shelves and how long we might want them to be. This allows us to get the maximum length so I can research shelves that are available for purchase.

Stud Finder, Four Small Lines at Top are Studs

The four lines at the top are where the studs are. So those were the best places to put the screws and the brackets.

Screw Brackets Into Studs To Allow Most Weight

We chose to use the studs on the outer most part of the shelves.

Determine Whether We Want Additional Brackets in the Middle

We had enough brackets to do four on each shelf so here we were holding them up so we can check it out. I ended up not liking it as much.

Make Sure You Like Height *IMPORTANT!*

Can you put the things you need on the bottom shelf with the height of the shelf above it? Don't put it too low and find out that nothing is short enough to fit. Here we also decided not to use the middle brackets.

Finished!!

Here's the finished product with some items on the shelves!

Styling Tips Once You Get Them UP!

1. Add PLANTS to your shelf, 2. LAYER your items, 3. Make it PERSONAL!!!

• Trudy

Looks great. But what did you do with all the things that were stored on the original shelf?

• Amanda

Actually I just checked again! The books, the decanter, the cocktail glasses, the rocks glasses, the pom pom, and the google home all made it from the first shelves to the final shelves. The only things that found a new home were wine and liquor bottles.

• Barbara

I thought you needed extra storage. This is very nice, but where is all the items you were storing on the shelves?

• Lisa Provost

Amanda...I never once questioned where you put everything! That wasn’t the point!! I thought you were making extra storage for your kitchen items or for what ever you thought was beautiful!! I think you did an amazing job, I’m a decorator...I love how you Made it into extra storage, but also made it beautiful to look at!! The picture is darling!! Don’t let anyone discourage you, this is a great idea and thanks for sharing!!

• Leanne Scott

The comments are Actually questioning the use of the word “storage” in your description. It doesn’t appear anyone is “mad” about what you’re putting on your shelves.

Your new shelves are decorative And allow “storage”. However, they are more decorative in definition. The Other ladies who commented about “storage” were,like myself, most likely looking for a more Utilitarian type of storage. Storage,For example, large enough for the liquor and wine bottles, rather than decorative placement (a “pretty” way of “storing”) the smaller items stored on the previous storage unit.

The new shelving is lovely, blends perfectly with the rest of your decor and provides a very pretty storage area for glasses, books decanters, ect. The other readers like myself, appear to equate the word “storage” with larger more standard ways to keep things out of sight andNot part of the room decor, larger items like the liquor and wine bottles.

• E95656

Love this