Anthropologie Inspired Knock Off Marbled Lazy Susan

$0

I've been doing a LOT of window shopping online lately. That's good in that I'm finding great deals, but bad because I often see items that I fall in love with, but that are a wee bit out of my budget!

Like this gorgeous Marbled Lazy Susan that I found at Anthropologie! I just love the marble and wood combination and it would be perfect for any kitchen island or dining room table. But instead of hitting the buy button I decided to try and make my own.

Source: Anthropologie

I already had a lazy susan. But as you can see it was a bit outdated and was going to take a bit of work to get it to look even close to the inspiration piece.

Sand the entire top of the lazy susan with 120 grit sandpaper.

My lazy susan was made of faux wood and had a LOT of lacquer on it. Even though some of it came off, I couldn't get a good clean surface to be able to stain the middle section a light wood tone as in the inspiration piece. While I mulled over what I would do with that insight, I kept moving forward with paint.

Give the top two light coats of white paint.

First I sectioned off the middle where I wanted to wood look and covered it in tape. I didn't have any painters tape so I was taking a chance that I didn't pull off any paint. Thankfully I didn't. I used a Paint and Primer that I had on hand in Ultra White. I applied a thin first coat. Allowed it to dry for 30 minutes and then applied another coat. Then I allowed it to dry overnight. **Remove the tape prior to letting it dry completely.

Create the veining (or marble) look with two tones of gray paint.

I used a light gray and a dark gray to create the veining. This technique is pretty simple to do you just need to make sure that you choose a direction for the veining to go and stick to that. I used a sample of our kitchen countertops as a guide. Each vein I created was smudged a bit to remove any excess paint with a damp sponge.

Touch up 'too' much veining with white paint.

If you don't like the look or it's too much veining (as it was in my case) just simply dab a paint brush with white paint and 'erase' some of the gray.

Stain the middle section

Since regular stain would not adhere to my lazy susan, I chose a stain gel instead. Since I had already roughed up the surface all I needed to do was apply a thin coat.

Allow the first coat of stain to dry and then touch up with a second coat if needed.

The first coat looked a bit blotchy so I allowed it to dry for a couple of hours and then I applied another thin coat.

Remove the tape and touch up any bare spots with more stain.

Once I removed the tape I just took a small artists brush and carefully went back over any bare spots to touch them up.

Apply a coat of Enamal Clear Coat

After the stain had dried overnight. I gave the lazy susan a coat of Clear Coat protective sealer to prevent any chipping and wear. I let that dry for a few hours and it was ready to use!

I placed it in our coffee station and it's perfect for holding our bowls, plates, coffee mugs and more! The total cost for this knock off project ws $0 because I already had the lazy susan and all the materials. You can find the full tutorial over on my blog!

CD's CountryLiving

• Janet Evans

I just checked out your coffee station on your blog and I love it! I have been about making one for a while now. This one has inspired me. Thank you for posting.

• CD's CountryLiving

Oh my goodness, Janet! Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm so glad you liked the coffee station! We are definitely enjoying it!