Macrame Basket Makeover

$5

So the stay home order has lifted in my area, but that doesn’t mean I’m ready to run out to the store the first chance I get. I plan on playing it safe and limiting my exposure as much as possible for the for seeable future. Plus, I have a ton of random odds and ends in my craft room screaming to be used and I’m quite the home body anyway sooooo.... this is all fine by me!

so being home has us spending more and more time outside, and any time I do go out for essentials I seem to find a plant I just can’t live without, all these plants need a home, so I had an idea! I have old wire planters, the kind that usually you plant things in with the coco liners, but what if I made over these wire frames to hold a potted plant?

Off to the craft room I went to see what we had to work with!

Start with a sad worn out coco basket

This is where we started, ugly, torn up, coco liner and left over dead plant... haha. These originally came from dollar tree, you get the basket for $1 and the liner for $1, I easily could just go get a new liner, but honestly they start looking so fluffy and worn out half way through the summer that I’d rather just save my $1!

I had some left over macrame cord in the craft room so I started brain storming!

That is all you will need for this project!

1 hanging basket from dollar tree

macrame cord of your choosing! I had grey and white on hand, these are synthetic but you could use cotton if you want!

Wrap the top!

I started by wrapping the top of the basket, just around and around and around until the whole top wire of the basket is covered, this will give it a finished look when you’re done!

Wrap the sides!

So this is a little confusing to put into words, basically you want to take the cord from where ever you left off to the closest bar, wrap it once, then continue to the next bar, wrap it once and so on... I wrapped from front to back.

Tie a knot to add rope

I didn’t realize when I started that my cord had been cut, so I had to tie a small knot to connect to the next longer piece of cord, once it’s all done you’ll hardly even notice this! The. Keep on wrapping!

Keep wrapping!

You’ll start seeing the neat ladder effect after you get a few rows in! It really gives it a nice look and hide the metal frame so nicely!

Keep wrapping!

It really only took me maybe 30-40 minutes to wrap the whole basket! Keep wrapping the end result it so worth it!

Knot it off!

Once you get to the bottom knot off the cord to one of the wires and your done!

Burn your ends

This is optional! And I’m not sure if it works with cotton cord or not, but I always burn the ends of my cord to keep it from fraying, synthetic cord kind of melts to itself!

She’s done!

Isn’t she lovely! A nice new home for my ivy!

Experiment with colors

I only had enough white and grey on hand to do one basket of each color, but I have 5 of these baskets! I may check out amazon to see what color options they have and make a few more of these! This was a perfect morning project to do one the patio while the kiddo ran out so pent up energy and I enjoyed and extra large cup of coffee! I hope you all are continuing to stay safe and healthy! Stay crafty friends! See you soon!

• Wire basket planter  (Dollar tree)
  • Macrame cord  (Hobby lobby)
  • Scissors  (Hobby lobby)

• Susan

How much cording did you use and what were the approx. Measurements of the wire frame! I love this project.

• Red's Rustic Rehab

Oh goodness. I didn’t measure the cording, but I can get the basket dimensions for you!

• Elise

Love it. Would make a great fruit/veggie hanging basket in kitchen, or in bath for whatever. I’m gonna try this.

• Gabrielle Falk

What a wonderful job you have done. My one thought is, however; do you have a drip saucer, or similar under the pot-plant? Unless you take the plant out of the hanger to water, and then make sure the pot is not dripping when you put the pot back. Unless you have such a 'saucer' or such, I would imagine that the water will soon destroy the integrity of the macrame - either soiling, or rotting. Which would be a shame. Nevertheless; a magic job.

• Red's Rustic Rehab

I used synthetic cording and there’s a big hole in the bottom of the basket, I’m no too concerned with weathering, it’s part of having plants :) dirt happens :) I have more traditional macrame hangers made of the same cord going strong after years :)glad you liked it!

• Gabrielle Falk

Good thinking!

• Maude LaFountain

I know I have 2 of these baskets around here somewhere and I have the cording I need to make a few of these but I think I will cut me out a piece of wood round to put in the bottom of it and hang in my bathroom to hold stuff in I think they would work good for the bathroom !!!...Love the idea thanks for sharing !!!