Garden Chest of Drawers

$20

This week I did a simple DIY repurposing using an old furniture piece. This piece turned into a garden chest of drawers to contain and straighten our back porch chaos.

Repurposing an old piece of furniture

I bought this cabinet from our neighbors that were moving for $20. I didn't know what I'd be using it for but I liked it and I knew I could find a use for it.

Cleaning and repairs

One of the small drawers was broken so I completely took it apart and applied some wood glue before nailing it back together. Very small repair!

Then it was on to dusting and wiping down clean. I then removed all the drawer pulls to get it ready for painting.

I made some vinyl lettering with my cricut just for fun. I applied those on before painting so I could use them as stencils (per say)

I applied two coats of exterior latex paint (since this will be going outside). I sanded it down lightly throughout. Then removed the vinyl stencils I had made to expose the original sky blue paint underneath.

I then applied two coats of polyurethane and allowed it to dry for 2 hours before replacing the hardware.

DONE! Super simple little chest of drawers that will hold bottled water for easy access when working in the yard. It will hold potting items, the grandkids tools and toys and the hubs BBQing tools instead of having clutter on our back porch.

turned out super cute and looks awesome on our back porch!

GullyCreekCottage

• Maureen

Very creative makeover!! It looks awesome. Thank you for sharing ❤️

• Emilie DeWolf

I acquired an old vanity, which I'm going to be doing something simpler. It has a lift up where the mirror is. Going to make that into a place for ice to keep water and such cold...can't wait to do it...

Love your idea....great minds💝💝

• GullyCreekCottage

Ooh I like that idea Emilie! This piece also had a beautiful top mirror that I removed and am doing another project with! Can't wait to get that one done. Good luck with yours!