DIY Plaster Vase Makeover | Brand New To Old World Style

$30

Joint compound takes the center stage to turn this vase from looking brand new to century’s old, with a unique old chippy plaster texture. Let me show you how I did it!I found this vase at Homegoods. I loved the shape, but didn't love the finish. At least - it didn't fit in with my European Farmhouse Kitchen Design.

Since we live in an unfinished pole barn home, we built ourselves, there are plenty of construction materials to pull from! I grabbed a box of our joint compound, and began playing with a new finish.

LATHER ON A THICK COAT OF JOINT COMPOUND

I just used some latex gloves and my hands to wipe it all over the vase. You are seeing my first layer here, but I did end up adding one more heavy layer, in more of a slapped on and glooby texture. I knew I would be sanding it down but wanted a whole lot of texture!

SAND DOWN THE JOINT COMPOUND

Once the joint compound was very dry, I took it outside and sanded it down until it was as smooth as I wanted, and with enough remaining texture that I wanted.

PAINT A DARK UNDERLAYER

I used a mixture of 3 colors of acrylic craft paint.I used a dark brown acrylic paint to cover the entire surface. I knew this wasn’t my desired finished color, but I wanted to be able to sand it down and have some dark show through.

ADD LAYERS OF OTHER DESIRED ACRYLIC PAINT COLORS

With no rhyme or reason, I just dabbed on the other paint colors. The final step is to sand and distress, until you get your desired "old world" results.

I opted to bring it down to the plaster at the base, to make it feel like it has been weathered in water for some time. There is heavier distressing up at the rim as well, where it might have been handled more.

Perfect touch for our European Farmhouse Kitchen!

You might also like to see our new European Farmhouse Kitchen Home Tour.

And read more about our Pole Barn Home.

TIDBITS

• Kim hart

Can u wash this vase.?

• Margo

will it work on a glass vase? any idea?

• Jean

You could try covering the glass vase with tissue paper or paper towels glued to it with a mixture of white glue and a little water. When it is dry you can put on the joint compound.