Create Your Own Restoration Hardware Coffee Table in Just 3 Steps

$10

Looking to upgrade your space without shelling out too much cash? This tutorial is for you! I’ll show you how to take a standard IKEA coffee table and upgrade it quickly and cheaply. With just a few hours and minimal materials, you can create an expensive looking coffee table that looks like it’s taken straight from the Restoration Hardware catalogue. Check it out!

DIY Restoration Hardware Coffee Table

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials

• 2 paint brushes
  • Paint
  • Primer (if needed)
  • Nailheads
  • Hammer
  • Chalk
  • Tape measure

Paint the Table

Paint the Table

Paint the entire table, making sure to get an even coat. I didn’t realize it at the time, but the paint I used was not made to be used on laminate without a primer. I could have sanded it first and it would have been fine, but because I didn’t know this I had to go a bit of a different route in the end. You’ll see how it looked later in the video, and in the end I had to get primer and redo the paint job. Just make sure you thoroughly research what kind of paint you're using and how it will work with the surface you’re using it on.

Redo the Paint Job

Redo the Paint Job

You can see how terrible it looked after a week. Anything that was left on it left a mark, and whenever I tried to clean it the paint would start coming off. Instead of stripping the paint, I decided to just add a primer and then another coat of the paint. Once I had done this, I left it to dry for a few hours. 

Milk Paint
Prime
Paint

Add Nailheads

Add Nailheads

Using a tape measure and chalk, I marked even points for the nailheads. Make sure that you’re happy with your measurements before adding the nails, as you don’t want any errant holes showing afterwards. Then hammer in the nails and that’s it!

Nail in the Nailheads

Before

This project takes a cheap table to new heights in only a few simple steps. 

Easy DIY Restoration Hardware Coffee Table

Minimum effort, time, and money with maximum effect! This Restoration Hardware style coffee table perfectly complements my living room. What quick and easy makeovers have you done in your home?

• Gianna Montero

How easy was this project, huh?

• Kelly
    Yesterday

Hi Gianna - Your table turned out beautifully! I appreciate your honesty about the painting troubles - I feel like I always have a major goof in my projects, and your details on WHY and HOW to fix the problem is just the kind of guidance I look for in my projects. 🙌🏼

• Gianna Montero
      11 minutes ago

I’m so glad you found it helpful 🤗 I run into little hiccups all the time, good luck on your next project!