How to Make Rubber Toys (with Silicone & Corn Starch)

$15

I recently discovered this really neat thing you can do with corn starch and silicone...make rubber toys! The King of Random shared a video a while back that got me inspired to try it out! The possibilities of what you could make are endless and are for kids and adults alike. My favourite rubber molds were the phone case, rubber mallet, custom cozy, and the bouncy balls. This would also make a perfect quarantine project for kids!

First things first, make sure you get silicone one (not silicone two) and that your bottle says 100% silicone. You can use white silicone but you will get more vibrate colours with clear.

I layered my corn starch and silicone to make it easier to mix. I recommend starting with a smaller amount of corn starch and adding more rather than adding too much as it will make the silicone crumbly if you add too much.

You can colour your silicone using acrylic paint or food colouring.

I recommend wearing gloves and adding baby oil to both my gloves and working surface to help with the stickiness of the silicone. You could also use mineral oil or Vaseline. You don’t need much to do the trick.

Mix your silicone, corn starch, and paint until it is the consistency of playdough. It should not be sticky .

Keep in mind that there is a fairly short window when the silicone mixture is workable. It will start to cure and harden 10-15 minutes after you begin mixing it.

Now watch your creation come to life!

The possibilities are endless!

• Amy N David Rohrich

Sorry I put question in the comment section....what are the ratio of corn starch to silicone?

• Sandy

Are these good to put outside?? I would like to make big bugs for outside do you think they would stand up to the heat in the summer? Very nice gave me a lot of ideas...stay safe 6',  wash your hands, wear masks......:-) 5-5-20

• Sandy

Does the phone holder crack eventually after putting it in and out of the case? 5-5-20............thanks very ingenious......

• Lisa West

Its looks like you mis the cornstarch until you get a soft clay consistency. I hope that helps. Really doesn't look like a ratio or recipe. Plus elevation could play a part in the mixture like when you bake, play with it and have fun.

• Savannah Spoon

She recommend starting with a smaller amount of corn starch in a bowl and add silicone because you can adding more corn starch rather than adding too much as it will make the silicone crumbly if you add too much. She said you want a consistency of playdough and should not be sticky. So I would just say start off with a small amount and just keep adding a little of each untill you get to the amount you want and then just make sure you adding the color in to if you want color cause that will change the consistency of it to, but make sure it's not sticky. Don't know if there is much of a ratio because it would depend on the amount you want for a project and how many colors you would want to have .. Don't know if this helps much but I just tried it and it wasn't difficult at all once you start doing it you will see and feel the texture and what you will need to add.