How to Make Rustic Lavender Sachets

$10

Lavender is a soothing herb, known for its use as a stress relief. I’m guessing we could all use some stress relief these days. Spending an hour sewing up a collection of rustic linen sachets may be just the project you want to take on.

Supplies
  • several scraps of 5″ by 10″ fabric to make each sachet. I used a white hopsack linen, along with blue & patterned fabrics I had on hand.
  • vintage or new buttons (about 3/4″ – 1″ diameter)
  • a few handfuls of lavender buds per sachet
  • sewing machine, iron
  • thread, scissors, sewing needle, paper (optional)
Cut Fabric

You will start by cutting a piece of fabric in a 5″ by 10″ rectangle for one sachet. Cut as many pieces as you like to make multiple sachets.

Fold and cut squares

Next, press your fabric piece in half and cut at the fold to make two 5″ x 5″ squares.

Pin squares

Pin the 2 squares of fabric, wrong sides together.

Sew seam

Load your desired thread on the sewing machine. It may be interesting to choose a contrasting thread on your fabric.Sew a 1/2″ seam to attach the 2 squares, beginning toward the middle of one edge, almost all the way around the square, ending about 2″ before your starting point.

Fill sachet with lavender

Now you’ll want to add the lavender buds inside this raw-edged sachet. I found it helpful to make a cone out of paper to use as a funnel for the buds.

Finish seams

Once you’re happy with the amount of lavender buds inside, carefully finish sewing the seam back up on the sewing machine.

Add a button

The last step is to add a button to the center of the sachet. You can use your favorite vintage or new buttons. The best size would be 3/4″ to 1″ diameter. I chose a few vintage Mother of Pearl buttons I had in my button stash. (It’s always fun to have some sort of stash available!)

Press the button directly on the center of the sachet, and sew it on using needle and thread. Be sure to keep the button pressed down into the sachet as you sew in order to create the slight tufted indent on top.

Finishing touches

Now you’re ready to give these sachets away in a pretty collection, or simply tuck them into a drawer or pillow. Tie them up with twine, a classic and multi-purpose craft supply (which is coincidentally featured in my blog name. Love it!).

The sachets look especially attractive adorned with a Provence-inspired Lavender Gift tag available on my blog.

If you liked this craft, you may like  these similar DIY projects at my blog.

And be sure to visit my blog for '  A Year of Farmhouse Crafts' free guide!

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Susan - A Box of Twine

1 comment
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

'Nice to see a fabric project that is actually sewn with a sewing machine, rather than just hastily hot glued or ironed with hem tape. And I see the button is sewn on properly as well with the centre X !