Wooden Address Sign

$35

A simple way to dress us those boring numbers on the front of your house in just a few hours.

I was lucky to have lots of scrap wood laying around so this project was free except the cost of the numbers I used.

Cutting your “Base”

I am making two so I cut two pieces of scrap 1x8’s I had down to 15” long. They were previously stained on the front, you don’t need to do this.

Creating the Faux Shiplap

Then I used scraps of primed 1x2’s and cut the ends at 45 degree angles to form a chevron pattern. I used wood glue and brad nails to attach each piece to my base. You can certainly lay these as horizontal or vertical pieces for a different look.

Continue The Opposite Direction

Lay another round of faux Shiplap running the opposite direction. Then I filled my nail holes with wood filler and sanded the face of the Shiplap to make it smooth and around all four sides quickly.

Time for Paint

I used white Rustoleum Chalk Paint and sanded lightly in between 2 coats. You can choose any color or paint you would like!

Let’s Add a Frame

Next up I cut some scrap 1x3’s to size for my frame. I was using a butt joint so I didn’t have to cut at an angle. Super easy! I cut two pieces at 15” and two at 8.75”. I sanded them smooth and added a coat of stain. I used the stain color Early American.

Finishing the Frame

I used wood glue and Brad nails to attach the frame to my Shiplap base and caulked along the inside edge to give it a clean look.

It’s Complete

My final step was to drill holes and attach my house numbers following the directions on the package. So worth a few hours of work to add a little interest to the front of our home!

*How to Hang Your Sign

I used a masonry bit because I drilled into mortar and used Tapcon screws and sawtooth hangers on the back of my sign.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try

• Butters

How did you attach to your house?

• Walt

What if your house number is not 136?

• RC Leach

The easiest way to resolve the problem, is to start looking for a nice home for sale that has a number of 136, or any combination. This way, you would have the added benefit of living closer, or farther from the center of the city, eg. 631= farther away from the beginning of the numbering system, and 136= nearer to the beginning. You could utilize the same system in order to live either farther north or south, or even farther east or farther west.

• Lee

Would your project get wet? And if so, have you account for this?

• Melissa

Mine will be under my covered porch but you can seal your sign

• Brianinbc

Already did mine twice. acquired wooden numbers and paint a contrast to the house colour and placed on lower trim of elevated deck that faces road. Just be sure to space evenly. My numbers are 6 inch height for ease of reading from road.

The second I used brass finished metal numbers, mounted on a slab of pre-varnished pine and screwed on large rock at 30 degree angle to road beside driveway entrance. Easy to read, for any driver. Hint, if you have much two-way traffic. you may want to make two of these to face each direction.

We live in the country and so, a more natural look is preferred.

• Melissa

Awesome! We love on a super quiet street but we do have a second set of numbers above our garage!