Wooden Address Sign

$35

A simple way to dress us those boring numbers on the front of your house in just a few hours.

I was lucky to have lots of scrap wood laying around so this project was free except the cost of the numbers I used.

Cutting your “Base”

I am making two so I cut two pieces of scrap 1x8’s I had down to 15” long. They were previously stained on the front, you don’t need to do this.

Creating the Faux Shiplap

Then I used scraps of primed 1x2’s and cut the ends at 45 degree angles to form a chevron pattern. I used wood glue and brad nails to attach each piece to my base. You can certainly lay these as horizontal or vertical pieces for a different look.

Continue The Opposite Direction

Lay another round of faux Shiplap running the opposite direction. Then I filled my nail holes with wood filler and sanded the face of the Shiplap to make it smooth and around all four sides quickly.

Time for Paint

I used white Rustoleum Chalk Paint and sanded lightly in between 2 coats. You can choose any color or paint you would like!

Let’s Add a Frame

Next up I cut some scrap 1x3’s to size for my frame. I was using a butt joint so I didn’t have to cut at an angle. Super easy! I cut two pieces at 15” and two at 8.75”. I sanded them smooth and added a coat of stain. I used the stain color Early American.

Finishing the Frame

I used wood glue and Brad nails to attach the frame to my Shiplap base and caulked along the inside edge to give it a clean look.

It’s Complete

My final step was to drill holes and attach my house numbers following the directions on the package. So worth a few hours of work to add a little interest to the front of our home!

*How to Hang Your Sign

I used a masonry bit because I drilled into mortar and used Tapcon screws and sawtooth hangers on the back of my sign.

• Pineapple

How did you attach to your house?

• Walt

What if your house number is not 136?

• Pat

Just buy two 6's and turn one upside down. That should take care of the 9 problem.

• Lee

Would your project get wet? And if so, have you account for this?

• Melissa

Mine will be under my covered porch but you can seal your sign

• Brianinbc

Already did mine twice. acquired wooden numbers and paint a contrast to the house colour and placed on lower trim of elevated deck that faces road. Just be sure to space evenly. My numbers are 6 inch height for ease of reading from road.

The second I used brass finished metal numbers, mounted on a slab of pre-varnished pine and screwed on large rock at 30 degree angle to road beside driveway entrance. Easy to read, for any driver. Hint, if you have much two-way traffic. you may want to make two of these to face each direction.

We live in the country and so, a more natural look is preferred.

• Melissa

Awesome! We love on a super quiet street but we do have a second set of numbers above our garage!