DIY Ceiling Spider Pendant Door Chandelier

$250

I found an old door by the road waiting for trash pick up. I knew I could do something with it. I loaded it up and drove straight home to knock out the glass panes. My family thought I was crazy. I then sanded it and started applying a glaze and stain to it. Then it sat in my garage until I figured out what I wanted to do. It was destined to become an original candelier.

Purchased the lights

The brand is LAMPUNDIT 18-Light Chandelier, Adjustable DIY Ceiling Spider Pendant Lighting, Industrial Hanging Light Fixture (Each with 6ft Wire). I still had no idea just how I was going do this. The examples on how to use them were attaching the wires from the ceiling. That really scared me and I did not want to do that. After some brainstorming I decided to use attached brackets for the ceiling placement right on the door. I wanted it to look as clean as possible.

Breaking out the saw horses

I setup the saw horses and placed the door on top. Still wondering how this would work.

Grabbed the painters tape

I used only the painters tape to decide where I wanted them placed. That way I could move them around with no damage. Once I was satisfied I moved to the next step.

Huge mistake

I began screwing each cord for the pendant lights in and used wiring U shaped tacks to clean up the wires. I really thought this was the best way. Until we got it suspended from the ceiling. I then saw my error. I had a bundle of messy cords! My opening for mounting and wiring was much smaller to accommodate them even if I spliced them and re wired. Not to mention I had already tacked every wire down. So I was at a stand still.

I left the mess and went to bed. By morning I took out every screw and tack. I apologize as I did not capture a picture for the next step. I then draped all eighteen cords from the center pane. One by one I reattached them. Finally it was going to work and make some sense. I was off to a good start!

Finally success and completion

After redoing all of my work and I can sit back and enjoy the reward. I am so happy with my vision coming to life!!!! I have had so many complements and I am so proud. Next will be installing a dimmer switch as even with 5W led bulbs there is eighteen of them and it is so bright. I hope you enjoyed this project and it brings you some inspiration. The cost for the whole project was around $250. Most of that is in the bulbs.

• Lisa Fauerbach

love It! Beautiful room!😊

• Norma

Great project! The light bulbs are not included with the wiring harness on Amazon. What bulbs did you use, where did you source them from, & how much did they cost? Also, are the bulbs you used dimmable? Thx!

• Jen Milgrom

We purchased 5w bulbs from Lowe’s and a dimmer switch. The bulbs alone were $140 but there was eighteen of them and 5W which are more expensive.

• Denise

Wow this is an absolutely incredible and unique idea for a chandelier. You have the perfect space for it and your entire room looks stunning!

• Bambi

No question. Just wanted to say what an awesome idea. Beautiful finished project ❤

• Tonya

Brilliant!!!