Easy DIY Circular Serving Tray

$10
1 Day

Looking for a beginner friendly wood working project? Then this easy DIY circular serving tray is the perfect project for you! The best part is it’s super budget savvy to make. I see you, you with the itch to make something amazing but not quite sure where to start. Maybe you don’t have all the fancy tools yet but you are ready to start creating! If that sounds like you then you have come to the right place! If you do have the fancy tools but just want a cool project then this is the right place for you too, don't worry. Lately, I have been getting lots of questions from yall about what a good beginner woodworking project would be, well this is it! I have been seeing these beautiful circular serving trays everywhere & have been wanting one so badly, but not $50 badly. So I decided to just DIY my own, using Blue Ridge tools you can find right at Target!

Supplies:

• -(1) 1x4x8
  • -Jigsaw
  • -Sander 
  • -Measuring Tape
  • -Screwdriver
  • -Stain
  • -Pencil
  • -Twine

1. Cutting The 1x4

Start by cutting the 1x4 into 5 pieces using the jigsaw. (1)17” (2)16 1/2” (2)13”

2. Attaching Tray Pieces

Attach each piece together using Gorilla Glue. Attach them in this order: 13”/16 ½”/17”/16 ½”/13”. You could also use pocket holes & screws if this tray was going to be used to carry anything super heavy.

3. Clamping The Pieces Together

Use clamps to secure the boards together & also to the table. Make sure they are flush on top, you don't want the boards to dry uneven. Let the glue dry overnight. 

4. Mark The Center

Now measure & mark the center of the 17” board. This should be about 8 ½ inches in.

5. Creating The Circle Jig

Using a battery-powered screwdriver or drill, screw a thin screw into where you just marked the board. This is where you are going to tie one end of your twine. The twine should be half the length of the tray, 8 ½ inches. 

6. Drawing The Tray Outline

Attach a pencil to the other end of the twine. Now draw a circle, keeping the pencil perpendicular to the board. This will be the outline we will use to cut it out.

7. Cutting Out The Circle

Using the jigsaw, cut out the circle. It doesn't need to be perfectly circular yet, better to cut a little outside the lines & finish with the sander. 

8. After The Jigsaw

This is how it looked after I got done cutting it with the jigsaw, but don't worry it will look more circleish soon!

9. Sanding Down The Tray

Using a sander smooth all the edges & sand down any areas that are outside the original lines. Keep the sander moving, if you let it sit in one spot it will create a flat spot & we don't want that!

10. Staining The Tray

Now it's time to sand the tray. I used Minwax Gel Stain in Hickory. You can apply the stain with a microfiber cloth or a brush.

11. Attaching The Hardware

Attaching the handles was a breeze using the Blue Ridge battery-powered screwdriver. These simple black handles are from Lowes & the perfect accent to my farmhouse tray. 

Ta-Da

Finished Tray

An easy DIY circular serving tray made using all tools you can find right at Target for a budget-savvy price.

Let know below if you have any questions & your favorite way to decorate these fun farmhouse trays!

Disclosure ~This post is part of a paid partnership with Blue Ridge Tools, but like always these opinions are my own~

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• Candace

Hi Lia, I am one of those who wants to learn how to work with wood and tools.

But I don’t have a workbench and there are many to choose from. Dif you use on on the circular tray or did you set your materials up without one , yet still safely? At sometime, I’d like to learn to use a circular saw and would new a work bench, but what would I be looking for that I could still use as my skills grew?

Thank you so much!

Cee

• I've got a couple sawhorses and and old door I use, I can put it away so it doesn't take up any space and I can put it in the sun, on the patio, etc where it's most comfortable and convenient to work