How to Make a Cute and Easy Watermelon Door Mat

$10

Calling all watermelon lovers! I’m excited to share a fun and easy tutorial on how to make your very own outdoor DIY watermelon door mat. It’s so easy I ended up making mine over my lunch break. I absolutely love how it turned out!

I purchased a natural rug online. The smoother the rug, the better the paint application will go.

Gather your supplies

Natural Doormat

+ ArtMinds Outdoor Acrylic Pain t

+ Paint Brush Set

+ Sponge

+ Scissors

+ Marker

+ 3 taper plates

Take your marker and draw a watermelon shape on the sponge.

Take your scissors and cut out the shape.

Just dig right in with your scissors and start cutting. The sponge is pretty easy to cut. You can even do like I did and cut the shape down so it’s not as thick. Just clean up the edges of the side you will use as your stamp until you’re happy with the shape.

It doesn’t have to be perfect. I cut two shapes to use to help make it not so uniform.

Mix up your pink paint on a paper plate. I mixed pink and a coral color to get the shade I wanted.

Dip your sponge into the paint, and make sure it is fully coated in the paint. Press firmly down on the door mat. Since the mat is so textured the sponge won’t  fill in the paint completely, but it does give you the watermelon shape you will need.

Repeat this step until your mat is covered and you are happy with the look.

I took my coral paint and spread it on the same paper plate.

Take your brush and fill in the shapes with coral. It produces a pretty pink and color. Repeat this step until all watermelon pieces are filled to your liking.

Take your green paint(s) and spread on a new paper plate.

Using your brush hand “draw” on the rind shapes. Use heavy blotting motions with my brush to ensure good paint coverage.

Repeat this step until all are rinds drawn.

Take your black paint and spread onto a new paper plate.

Take a smaller paint brush, and dab on the seeds. Try to make them seeds random and different on your watermelons.

Once you’re happy with your seeds, you are finished! Simply lay your mat flat until it dries. Once dry, place it on your porch and wait for the compliments.

This rug could be super cute in a pineapple or other fruit design as well. I might paint pineapples on the reverse side.

My daughter and I used the same steps to make a DIT pineapple door mat recently.

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Audrey Kuether