Mini Greenhouse for the Deck or Patio

$30

It's garden starting time, at least here where we live in the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately our weather can still be a bit unpredictable, and isn't the most welcoming for little baby plants. This year I decided to make a patio sized greenhouse to start my garden seeds in.

Full Tutorial

Check out the video for the full tutorial.

Measure

I used a pair of reclaimed windows for this project. The measurements for your mini greenhouse will be custom fit for the windows you find. Measure the total width of your window, add a 1/4 inch of wiggle room, and cut your lumber to this length.

Build The Frame

I built my frame out of five 2x6 boards with two in the front and three in the back. It is better to create an angle for the windows to sit at for maximum sun exposure.

Put your structure together. Check out the blog or video for the full details. Use some good utility hinges to attach your windows to the frame.

Mini Greenhouse

We planted all of our seeds in recycled cardboard egg cartons. This makes it super easy to transplant the sprouts into the garden. In the greenhouse the temperature should stay about ten degrees warmer than outside.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Heather Cammack

1 comment
  • Julie
    Julie

I will definitely try ur idea out next spring. It's very clever and alot less difficult to store seedlings than my fiasco. I had my 2 youngest kiddos help me make mini greenhouses out of those little clear cocktail cups. However we had so many different types of fruits n veggies to plant that I ended up having to commandeer part of my son's room for the window space. Thank u for the instructions and ideas. Gb