Easy Color Block Spray Painted Baskets

$12

Are you amazed by the power of spray paint like I am?

Join me to see how I transformed three clearance rack baskets to look more expensive, all with the power of spray paint.

Today I will show you how I took three $1.50 clearance rack baskets and spray painted them to transform their decor appeal. It was a fast and easy craft that anyone could do. And now my baskets look so much more expensive. That’s right- Easy Color Block Spray Painted Baskets.

An easy spray paint craft that you can do too!

I was thinking that this seems like such an easy DIY project to share, it’s almost too easy. But I know that I am always amazed by the power of spray paint to transform the everyday home decor items. Well, why not share my easy project and bring you over to the spray-painted dark side too! 😉

This project all started with three of these baskets that I found at the  Target Bullseye’s Playground. They were pretty affordable at $3 each, but I bought them as they were clearing out old stock for new and the whole section was 50% off. That’s right my baskets were $1.50 each.

I really like the braided seagrass look of these baskets. They have a mix of such great natural colors- sandy tan, coral, sage green, and a darker olive green. A subtle mix that makes these baskets pretty chic to start with, but maybe they could be more?

Out came the painter’s tape and I started taping off the bottom of the basket. I used one of the seams on the basket to use as a guide and taped to cover the top 2/3rds of the baskets. The taped portion was the part that I wanted to leave the natural seagrass woven look.

While I taped the top portion of my basket- you could always switch it up and tape the bottom. Or even tape stripes or other shapes on your basket to color block. Get creative and have fun with it!

Once all three baskets were all taped up- I took them outside and spray painted the bottom exposed portion of the baskets with black spray paint. This step took a few light coats to get good and even coverage.I find the trick to good spray painting is quick and light coats. Keep the spray paint moving and always end your spray just off the side of the item that you’re painting. If you stop on the item it will leave a darker spot or worse- a drip! Oh, how I hate drips in my spray paint!

Once the spray paint was dry it was time to remove the tape. This is when you get to see the beautiful end result of your taping and spray painting work. The best part of any good DIY or Craft project if you ask me!

While I used Black spray paint for my easy color block baskets– you could use whatever color would work best for your home decor. White, Blue, Gold, or even Pink for a little girl’s room- I think any color would be amazing!

You could do this easy color blocking spray paint treatment on any basket that you already own. Upcycle an old basket that has lost its appeal. Or turn that thrift store basket into a new stylish piece for your decor.If you would like to see more- be sure and check out my blog!jackiecantblog.com

Jackie

• Jan

Can you spray paint a glass lamp that doesn’t quite match the way I thought it would when I saw it in the store?

• Jackie

Hi Jan. Yes, you can spray paint glass! There are so many different types of spray paint- so my suggestion is to pay for a higher quality paint to get good even coverage. And of course make sure to clean your glass really well. All paint jobs go better with a clean surface. Good luck!

• Mary Coakley

Like.what you did.with.the baskets give them more appeal

• Jackie

Thank you so much Mary. I appreciate you taking the time to look at my post and leave your sweet comment.