Painted Sunflower Garden Decor

$5

This junk creation began when I was gifted a box of vintage kitchen items. This piece caught my eye and while I thought I knew what it was, I wasn't too sure.

When my children were young my mother-in-law used to make grilled cheese sandwiches on the stove using something similar.  Thea at Rosie's Vintage told me it was something used at a campfire, maybe for eggs or burgers.

Anyway, in my head I thought they looked like they should be flowers. The first thing I did was pull them apart, I folded the piece back and forth by the handles until the thin metal broke and I ended up with 2 pieces. 

I painted the flower looking pieces yellow with a black center for the first coat. I used Fusion Mineral Paint that easily sticks to the metal.

I painted petals on the yellow background using the yellow paint with a little bit of brown added.

Next, I painted  metal circle blanks with black and brown paint to look like the center of a sunflower.

I attached the circles to the center of the flower with E6000 glue. The very last step was to spray the flowers with a satin spray sealer

I added the sunflowers to pots on my deck by sticking the handles into the dirt.

It's early and it has been very chilly here on the east coast but there are warmer days coming and this sad looking garden is going to flourish!

Thanks so much for visiting! Please hop over to Homeroad.net to sign up for the Homeroad emails so I can send my latest DIY tutorial straight to you!

Homeroad

• Audrey
    12 hours ago

what is the frog used for, With the holes in the top?

• Kaye

It's wonderful what DIYers see that others don't. My mom called this a toast tight. We used it for grilled cheese. Over the years I' ve heard many say it was great for camping. Either way, I loved that hot toasty sandwich. And your flowers are great.

• Mary Coakley

Look very natural