Recycled No-Sew Garden Apron

$5

The bags for donation are piling high in my basement as we continue to organize and downsize. I'm digging deep into the clothing donations to make myself a garden apron today. I was inspired by a woman in one of my Facebook groups who made a full sized apron from a pair of jeans.

I grabbed a pair of jeans from the donation bag and cut them off to the length I wanted. I cut down the sides of the jeans on the seams and across the bottom. If you ever made a jean skirt out of a pair of jeans like I did back in the day, you'll know this little trick... I opened the crotch seam and overlapped it to create a flat surface. 

I'm not sewing this apron, I'm  using fabric fusing tape, it's an iron on binding that holds seams together. No sewing needed. And there is no doubt how well it holds because when I tried to open a seam that I ironed closed, I couldn't get it open! And yes, it's washable. 

For the apron straps I cut down the inner seam of both legs. I folded the edges and ironed them closed. 

I attached the straps to the top of the waistband. This is where I needed a few hand stitches to secure the straps so they would be securely attached. 

Next, I looked through the donation bag once again for something I could use for a trim at the bottom of the skirt. I found the perfect lacy trim from a shirt that belonged to my daughter.

I used the iron-on tape once again to attach the trim to the back of the bottom of the apron then I used more tape to attach decorative grosgrain ribbon on top of trim. The pockets are perfect for my phone or garden tools while I'm out working in the garden.

Thanks so much for visiting! Please hop over to  Homeroad.net to sign up for the Homeroad emails so I can send my latest DIY tutorial straight to you!

Homeroad

• Jennifer Plotner

Love the idea but couldn't do the dangling lace trim.

I would think bugs were crawling on me.

• Beverly

How about some lace trim that matches the color of the the stitching on the jeans. Which is basically what she did with the color of the ribbon. Then substitute a more colorful ribbon.

• Pamela Sloan

Soooooo Cute! Thanks for sharing!