Asked on May 6, 2020

Seal around base of home and concrete walks?

KmdreamerChas' Crazy CreationsBetsy


What appears to be a rubbery substance around the home where ever it meets concrete is separating. Does anyone know what this stuff is and best way to fix the big gap (at least 1”) deep?

Thanks to all and hope all are healthy!

Stephanie Ward

The separation view is right behind this wood.

With very little it breaks away

Very close image.

12 answers
  • GrandmasHouseDIY
    on May 6, 2020

    Hi Stephanie that's definitely caulk that they used to seal between the house's foundation and your concrete walkway. Over time the ground shifts etc. broke it a part. To replace it you will need to remove all the old caulk and replace it with new.

  • Gk
    on May 6, 2020

    Here's some great tips for you! Fill in the space with foam tubes and then caulk!

  • Dee
    on May 6, 2020

    In order to fix that you need to first remove all the cracked caulk. It will not be hard just tedious. Then get backer rods and put in the holes. After inserting the rubber backer rods, you can caulk over it.

  • Mogie
    on May 6, 2020
  • Cheryl A
    Cheryl A
    on May 6, 2020

    Here is a video that may help you out.

  • Deb K
    Deb K
    on May 6, 2020

    Hi Stephanie, hope this helps you out,

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    on May 7, 2020

    It is most likely caulk. You can scrape it away and then replace. Make sure you get the kind that is for exterior. I would use clear.

  • Vimarhonor
    on May 7, 2020

    Hello, I believe its caulk of some type, the concrete crack sealer is grey and silicone caulks can be white clear and some siding colors.

  • Lani Moore
    Lani Moore
    on May 7, 2020

    I agree about the caulk. Dig it out. However, I have used a product called "Mortar Repair" that I get at Lowes (probably elsewhere as well). It comes in a tube like caulk does, but it has a tip that is shaped to fit in the mortar lines of brick. It is gray, like concrete, and has a grit to it. I have used it to fill in spaces on a porch, where a joint is that has come apart. When it dried it looks just like mortar. Hardens and it relatively permanent. Cool stuff!

  • Betsy
    on May 8, 2020

    Hi Stephanie: You can get a product called Crack Repair from most home improvement stores. It's not that expensive and easy to use. If the crack is wide and deep, you can get a bag of sweeping sand, masons sand, or the like (it has different names and is the type used in egg timers) but NOT play sand. Play sand won't fill the voids under the crack, it just sits there and looks at you. The other types of sand will drift down and fill any holes that are around. It's not expensive, either. Clean out the crack as best as you can and then get some backing rod, it's a flexible foam coil, also not expensive, and comes in different widths. Fill the crack to about 11/2" from the top with the sand, put the foam rod in and then the crack repair. The whole thing should fit into your budget. Good luck

  • Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations
    on May 10, 2020

    Here's a video that might help -

  • Kmdreamer
    on May 10, 2020

    Calk for cement outdoor

Your comment...