Free DIY Train Table

$0
1 Day

I found this table on marketplace for free, I was originally going to use it in our kitchen, but I found another table that fit better in our "breakfast nook." I didn't know what to do with this table, but I got an idea when my baby kept trying to play with his train tracks in his bedroom (which is all carpet) and it wasn't working too well for him. I kept looking for train tables for his room that weren't too expensive, but were cute and had no luck, so I figured I'd make him one instead!

The first thing I did was took the legs off the table and measured them to a height that would fit him better. I used a miter saw to cut them, then reassembled the table to make sure it was the right height. (And yes, his pants are on backwards lol).

I applied three coats of rustoleum chalk paint to the table. Once it was dry, I went over it lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it out.

I took the table up to his room and chose a train track layout that would best fit the table, (this is what google helped me come up with). I used wood glue to glue the tracks down, then I painted the "lakes" and added painters tape to outline what would become the "roads."

Once the paint was dry for the "road", I removed the painters tape and added the yellow lines on the road, and voila, free DIY train table! He loves the train part of the table, but I secretly think he likes the roads for his dump trucks even more.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Bre7436202
    Bre7436202

Um, technically my question is about your sons bed behind the train table. Did you make that also, and if not where did you purchase it from?

• Jaswan
      Jaswan

Also... gotta day looks like a PIA to remake the bed daily

the best part is the upcycle of the kitchen table

• Tracey Frieszell
    Tracey Frieszell

Did you secure the train track to the table? If so what did you use? Awesome Craftsmanship!!!

Love it!!

• Delores M Stevens
    Delores M Stevens

Another idea, could this table be painted with paint that would allow chalk drawings on it that could be erased?