Free DIY Train Table

$0
1 Day

I found this table on marketplace for free, I was originally going to use it in our kitchen, but I found another table that fit better in our "breakfast nook." I didn't know what to do with this table, but I got an idea when my baby kept trying to play with his train tracks in his bedroom (which is all carpet) and it wasn't working too well for him. I kept looking for train tables for his room that weren't too expensive, but were cute and had no luck, so I figured I'd make him one instead!

The first thing I did was took the legs off the table and measured them to a height that would fit him better. I used a miter saw to cut them, then reassembled the table to make sure it was the right height. (And yes, his pants are on backwards lol).

I applied three coats of rustoleum chalk paint to the table. Once it was dry, I went over it lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it out.

I took the table up to his room and chose a train track layout that would best fit the table, (this is what google helped me come up with). I used wood glue to glue the tracks down, then I painted the "lakes" and added painters tape to outline what would become the "roads."

Once the paint was dry for the "road", I removed the painters tape and added the yellow lines on the road, and voila, free DIY train table! He loves the train part of the table, but I secretly think he likes the roads for his dump trucks even more.

• Bre7436202

Um, technically my question is about your sons bed behind the train table. Did you make that also, and if not where did you purchase it from?

• Jaswan

Also... gotta day looks like a PIA to remake the bed daily

the best part is the upcycle of the kitchen table

• Tracey Frieszell

Did you secure the train track to the table? If so what did you use? Awesome Craftsmanship!!!

Love it!!

• Delores M Stevens

Another idea, could this table be painted with paint that would allow chalk drawings on it that could be erased?