My Pantry Makeover That Tripled My Storage

$200.

I live out in the sticks as people like to say. We have a mini-farm type of property in the desert. To have critters come in is not too unusual. We just drive them out and we are usually good for another 2 or 3 years until the generation that was old enough to remember what horrible things happened to your people in the house was gone, and then the silly youngsters would come back, I am only kind of joking, I don’t really know why it seems to happen in cycles. But, his time it leads to a complete pantry makeover. Want to know what caused all of this? Click over to my blog for the full story. https://www.goodlittlehome.com/my-pantry-makeover/

So Step one, know you have a problem.

So this is what my pantry used to look like, and this picture was taken after I had taken some stuff out already. Talk about an embarassing picture. So Step one, know you have a problem.

Take everything out

Next remove everything from the pantry. I even took out all the shelf paper. This is what my kitchen looked like when all was done.

Then I cut out the bottom shelf. I had to leave the corner part in for the structural integrity of the rest of the shelves. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the shelf out, I probably should have used a circular saw, it would have been a better cut. A little side story, I had not told my husband I was doing this, so I had to get the shelf out before he could object. That's why there were still some things on the floor and shelf.

Make it Pretty

Next was to thoroughly wash everything in the pantry, I used an Oxyclean product and washed everything, the shelves, and walls, and even the floor. I decided that I didn’t want to put shelving paper on this time, but I did want to fancy up the walls some. So, I made a run to our local Walmart store and grabbed a few rolls of contact paper, and put that up between the shelves. Looking better already. I did have to use it on the bottom shelf to hide the bad cut lines. 

Contain the Mess

I had ordered some plastic containers to put some of the food in that was sold boxed. I know this sounds a little crazy, but would you expect less from me? The very same containers that you can get, or at least by the same manufacturer, are much cheaper in the pet section. They are food safe and have a “Fresh Tight” seal. I like them so much that I have ordered more. Then I used a bunch of Ball Jars and other jars to put grains in. For more information on the containers click on over to https://www.goodlittlehome.com/my-pantry-makeover/

So here is the secret.

So here is what I put where that one shelf used to be. Wire drawer units. Look how much you can get in just one drawer! I could fit 3 drawer units into the pantry so I have 12 drawers of space where I used to have just one shelf. There is some bonus space too if you put tops on the drawers, between the units and the now first shelf. In my pantry, there are about 8 inches, so there is room to store 12 or 24 packs of soda there. Unfortunately, Ikea no longer makes these units, but click on over to my blog to see what else you could use. https://www.goodlittlehome.com/my-pantry-makeover/

Finally

This is what it looks like with the drawers in.

After shelves

After shelves on the other side.

I hope my pantry makeover has inspired you to try this in your home. It's so nice to have room to keep things neatly organized in there instead of the chotic mess it used to be.

And it's DONE!!

Good Little Home    Amy Johnson Bullock

• Debs

Here's mine. Didn't build or saw anything, just took a shelf from an old black bookshelf & the brackets to put in that wasted space between the 2 sliding drawers. Who built this leaving unused space there? To my surprise, the old shelf fit perfectly. Do I care that it's black & not maple? Nope! I used a wire rack to hold plastic bins for extra spices, etc. All organized now!

• Va

please give me specific info on the plastic containers used for the saltine crackers...really need this size for my pantry. website, manufacture, size, etc. Thank you....you have done a terrific job.

• Which drawers did you use