Mixed Media Shoe Ring Holder

$10

I am sure many of us ladies have done this. We go into a shoe store and see beautiful pair of high heels at a bargain price and we just have to have them. We try them on and they fit perfectly and our legs look sexy as hell. We go to wear them with our favorite outfit only to find after 5 minutes we can no longer walk in them and our feet are killing. That was the story behind these shoes but the 5 minutes was and exaggeration, after a few steps I was done. If you follow my projects you will know I never throw anything away when I can repurpose them. So these shoes got repurposed into ring holders.

Find a pair of high heels

This was my shoes before they got the make over. I started by painted the shoes with black gesso. Because the shoes were glitter I was unsure how the glue would stick. It is also easy to paint the base now rather than later with all the embellishments attached.

Add some texture to the shoes

By adding some texture to the shoes, you will see at the end the difference it will make. I used a variety of stencils to do this.

Add the texture paste

Place the stencil over the shoes and add the texture paste with a spatula, then remove the stencil straight away. I used a few different stencils on each shoe. They don't have to be the same as each other.

To get the texture paste to dry faster so you can carry on, a hairdryer works great. This step does not need to be perfect as you can see mine looks a mess. And it is going to get worse before it get better. This is where you need to hang in there until the end to see the results.

Add more texture

The netting you can see on the shoes above are packaging from on onion sack and fruit sack. The white bubbly looking fabric on the right shoe is an off cut of non slip mat. Other great items to use is cardboard or burlap. These items give a great result once highlighted at the end.

Add you embellishments

This is where you can get creative and look around your home for items to use. Being big into crafting, I bought some bulk charms from Amazon. They are cheap and you can get many projects out of one pack.

To list a few items I used,

• thumbtacks
  • wood studs
  • shells
  • studs off and old dog collar
  • zipper from and old pair of jeans
  • some nuts from my shed
  • Broken jewelry

The smaller items were glued in place using tacky glue and for the bigger items I used a hot glue gun.

You can zoom in on the picture to see more items that I used. Or pop over to the full post using the link at the end of this post.

At this stage they look and even bigger mess than before, but stay with me it does get better, I promise.

Paint the shoes black

Once you have covered the shoes with embellishments paint the shoes again with the black gesso or acrylic paint. Once dry it is time for the magic to happen. To do this we use metallic wax paste. I have some that I have bought, but found I can make my own using the following method.

Highlight the shoes

I am a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to my choice of colors. Because I want them all to blend into my spare room I tend to go for the same colors. You can play around with whatever colors you like. I start with the gold first, put the tip of your finger on the wax and rub it over the surface of the raised embellishments. Repeat this step with all the colors. I try add a little of each color to each area or embellishment. When all the colors are added blend them together with a soft brush, I use a makeup brush.

Add mica for extra sparkle

To get extra sparkle you can add some mica powder using a soft brush.

Put a tiny amount of mica powder on the shoes and blend with a soft brush.

A close up of the highlighted shoes.

If you just want decorated shoes, this is where you stop. But you will need to seal the shoes if you want to wear them. Mod podge would be a good sealer to use.

By adding the different mica powders to the surface, this is the simmer you will get in the sunlight.

Making the ring holder

I used a scrap piece of foam which I cut to size to fit inside the shoes. This will be covered in black velvet later.

Cut in the slots

Using a sharp knife cut slots into the foam to hold the rings. Make sure to cut the slot deep enough to hold the rings in place.

I added some hot glue to the inside of the slot and and push the black velvet down into the glue. This will hold the velvet in place when the rings are being pulled in and out. This is then glued to the inside of the shoe using a hot glue gun.

And that is my stiletto Ring holder complete. To see more detailed instructions and more great pictures of these beauties, pop over to my website. It is very difficult for me to cost the project because I used items I had at home. Your cost will depend on what already have.

Looking for more great ideas for your next project. Check out this wine bottle that was decorated using mixed media

Unique Creations By Anita