How to Make Your Own Soy Wax Candles

$35

It's super easy to make your own DIY soy wax candles. I love soy wax candles because they're more natural and the smell is just better than regular candles in my opinion.Let’s get started with the supplies

• Soy Candle Wax
  • Empty glass containers
  • Glass measuring cup (or similar)
  • Candle wick kit
  • Spoon
  • Crayons (not shown)
  • Essential oils
  • Microwave (or stove top and sauce pan)
  • Scissors

Take your glass container and add the sticky tab to the center bottom. If your wicks don’t come with the stickies, you can simply hot glue the wick to the bottom instead. put your wick holder in place and set aside. You can also bend and tape the wick down if you don’t have a holder (see two photos down for example).

Pour your soy wax to the top of your measuring cup and choose your melting method. I chose to try the stove top with a sauce pan and boiling water.The melting process took about 10 minutes on the stove. The next time I make these I will simply use the microwave in 30 second increments. I’d guess that method would take about 3-5 minutes.I ended up adding more wax during the melting process so I could fill two candle jars at the same time.

While you wait for your wax to melt go ahead and prepare for the next steps. Set an oven mitt aside so you can handle the hot measuring cup and set aside your empty jar(s), essential oils, peeled crayons, and a spoon.

At this point the wax should be completely melted—time to mix in the oils and crayons.Note: I also set a second glass measuring cup aside so I could evenly divide the wax to do two scents and colors. If you only wanted to make one candle you would skip this step.

Stir in about 40-50 drops of your favorite essential oils to the wax. This seems excessive, but I promise it’s not.I like to use more affordable oils for these so I don’t deplete my Young living stash. I have good luck finding affordable oils at Marshall’s stores. Soy wax requires more oil, but does a great job of holding a stronger scent in my opinion.

I used lemon oil in one, and lavender in the other.

If you want your candle wax to be colored stir in your broken crayon until melted. I ended up microwaving the wax and crayon for about 30 seconds to aid in the candle melting process.

Stir the crayon until completely blended. The color may seem dark, but it will dry lighter.

Once all mixed, pour the wax into one of your jars. And do the same with the other jar if you have more than one.

Let the wax dry. I put mine in the refrigerator, which helped them dry in about 30-40 minutes. If you choose to air dry them it could take about 24 hours.Once dry trim the wicks down.

And now it’s time to sit back and enjoy your beautiful candles!

See, I told you my DIY soy wax candle tutorial was easy!If you try them for yourself let me know how they turn out! I love to see your results.

Audrey Kuether

• Sherry

Loved this I will try it. How did you get the mixed candle

• Audrey Kuether

Thanks Sherry! The candle with the green on the bottom is a balloon on the outside of the jar to give it a paint dipped look :)

• Cheryl Hester Furr

Awesome, something I an do with the grandkids. Thanks for sharing.