DIY Modern House Number Sign With Planter Bucket

$10

This project started out with a simple wood canvas artist panel 11 x 14 found on clearance from Target and an oval galvanized bucket found at a thrift store.

Prep the wood canvas

This picture shows the wood canvas already prepped and stained but I had originally started this project as something else. The wood canvas artist panel is part of Target's Hand Made Modern line of craft supplies.

The wood canvas panel was pretreated with MinWax Wood Conditioner and was given one coat of MinWax Stain in Early American.

I then changed my mind about the original project for this wood artists panel and it sat on my craft room shelf for months before I came up with this project.

Before making the wood sign, I sprayed the stained wood canvas panel with Rust-Oleum Triple Thick Glaze to protect it from the weather.

Create the numbers using a Cricut machine

Since I had decided to use this wood canvas panel as a modern house number sign, I created 4 1/2 inch numbers using my Cricut Joy machine and the Smart Vinyl products in glossy white permanent vinyl.

These were easy to attach to the wood panel using the Cricut Transfer Tape product.

If you don't have a Cricut machine, you can also purchase regular house numbers at your local hardware store to make a similar project.

Attach the galvanized bucket

Since the oval bucket is light weight and the wood canvas didn't need to hold a lot of weight anyway, I don't intend to actually plant anything in the bucket.

Instead I plan to switch out the decor in the bucket with each season and holiday.

The bucket was attached by using Gorilla Glue in clear and allowed to dry overnight. Since I don't intend to use the bucket as an actual planter, I didn't bother to drill drain holes in the bottom of the bucket either.

Add in the faux succulents or plants

My plan was for this wooden sign to be functional but also changeable with decor at any given time, so I made it so that I could decor it with the seasons and move it to other locations around the house like the front door entrance or the screened porch.

The first time I hung up the wood canvas sign and planter indoors I used small foam floral rounds and faux succulents to see how it would look.

Loved it!

This is probably the look I will use in the sign and planter a lot during the year.

Use some small potted flowers instead

I had just made a trip to our local nursery for small potted flowers and plants and realized that these small pots fit perfectly in the oval bucket.

For the next week or so I get to enjoy these brightly colored yellow Superbells by my side entrance until I plant them in the original pots they were purchased for.

New Modern House Number Sign with Planter

Using what I had on hand, but items that are easy to find, I created a one of a kind modern house number sign with a bucket planter for my entrance.

Eventually this sign will hang at my front door entrance but that area needs some TLC before that time. For now I will enjoy switching out the flowers and decorations at the door we used the most.

Donna Powell

• Veronica

I like the versatility of it. Good job!

• Donna Powell

Thank you. I have planted the flowers were in it and put in a small potted cotton candy fern for now. It is nice to change out the plants.

• Dl.5660408

Cute! So is the wreath on the door. Spar varnish works really well also on weatherproofing

• Donna Powell

The sign is hanging next to the door underneath the covered porch. It won't be exposed to extreme weather that way.