How I Converted My Kitchen Cabinet Into Trendy Shelving

$50

The one thing that is nice about NOT having your dream kitchen is that you're not afraid to take risks! If you want to paint the cabinets a funky color, go for it. If you want to try some peel and stick back splash or drawer liner, why not? Or in my case, I wanted to convert a cabinet into open shelves. I mean what's the worst that can happen? It not going to be worse then it was before I messed with it!

This particular cabinet, was basically our pantry right next to the fridge. Eventually, when I do gut this whole kitchen and reno, I would like to make this a full length pantry. But for now I wanted to try open shelving. It also gave me a reason to reorganize my pantry and chuck all the expired cans of food!

The first thing I did was take everything out including the shelves, and painted it off white. I used Sherwin Williams extreme bonding primer and then their Marshmallow Interior Paint in a semi gloss finish. It was just slightly off white but I liked the contrast with the dark frame rather then going with a stark white. The wood was relatively bare and I most likely would have been fine not used a primer first but I wanted to make sure it could withstand some wear. I actually already had the primer and the paint from other projects and didn't spend any additional money on this project!

I painted the shelves separately with the same primer and color and then put them back in the cabinet once it was all dry. I used one coat of primer and two of the paint allowing a few hours to dry in between each coat. I then removed the doors. I always go with semi gloss for a cabinet or furniture and eggshell for wall paint.

After removing the doors, there were holes left behind by the screws. I didn't find them very obvious to begin with but used a touch up filler stick to fill the holes. Now I don't see them at all! I got this touch up kit from Amazon a while back and it came with six touch up markers and 6 crayons in various wood colors. They have come in handy so many times over the years when I dinged up furniture during moves or clumsiness.

I used the top two shelves for storage and the bottom shelf for decor but I tried to go with dishes that were "pretty" and stuck to a white color palette. I also lined the bottom of each shelf with Grip-N-Stick white cabinet liner by Con-Tact. This made me feel more comfortable that the paint wont scratch on the dishes. I cant wait to decor this space seasonally!

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items

• Gert Domber
    Gert Domber

OPEN SHELF S IN THE KITCHEN LOOK GOOD BUT ARE HARD TO KEEP CLEAN.

• Susan
      Susan

ATTRACTS GREASE AND GRIME AND CATS LOVE NEW OPEN SPACES.

• Judy63
    Judy63

I like your idea. It looks great thank you for sharing your idea

Judy