Live Edge Kitchen Island

$100
1 Week
Advanced

So this house does not have a kitchen island for some reason but it has the space for one. So we decided to make one.

On my previous posting, I showed what we did to the cabinets. This is the before picture.

This is the after. That small table in the center is temporary.

Here is the final piece already in the kitchen. The live edge cedar top extends a little all around so that you can put stools and sit comfortably. The stools will be a future posting  .

We bought 2 x 2 posts for the legs and cut out an L ledge to insert the 2 x 4 pieces that would hold it together. (I don't have the measurements because I forgot to write them down as we didn't have specific plans to go by.

Since we worked on the live edge cedar top first, we could figure out what size to make the frame so that there was enough over hang all around.

Here you can see how the 2 x 4 fit into the cuts. We used wood glue and screws.

We made sure the pieces where leveled.

I had two drawers left from a dresser that we turned into entertainment center. So we had to figure how to make them fit.

I sanded the drawers and stained them. Also added rustic rebar handles.

He cut two pieces to use as guides

We decided to insert thin plywood to cover the sides.

Here is the framing all done for the drawers.

Next came the shelf for the bottom section. We had a beautiful rustic cedar piece we used. Cut the corners to fit and sanded it.

Oops, too wide, so had to cut to fit.

It was time to stain.

Piece was ready for the top.

Now, for the top, we joined two pieces together, sanded it down really well and cleaned up the little holes so that I could fill them with epoxy.

Next, we applied cedar oil to bring out the natural colors and protect it.

Same thing to the bottom shelf.

Last thing we did was apply polyurethane to add a gloss and protection. We were so pleased with how it came out.

It really stands out in that kitchen as the focal point.

• Cynthia

Love your design! My son is going to make me one for my kitchen, I haven’t gotten room for a large islander and this will be perfect! Could you maybe give me the size after it was made.

Thank You

cynthia

• Carolina

Oh, I will measure it next time I go and give you the dimensions. I think it was in the neighborhood or 47 x 30 but not sure.

• Emily Oglesby

I just bought a raw butcher block for my island,how do treat it,do I just oil it or do I need to use something else?

I agree with Sam. Mineral oil is cheaper than butcher block oil.

• Anne

Love the island. And painting those dark cabinets made a world of difference. Beautiful!

That is an amazing island. Love the dado's cut into the 4X4 posts for the 2X4's. Makes for a much sturdier base. The live edge cedar top is amazing. Painting the cabinets really brightens up the space. Great job.

• Carolina

Thank you!!! we are very happy with the island. Now come the stools