How do I make a trench running down my lawn separating my garden bed?

+14

I have a trench running down my lawn separating the grass from the mulch. I want to make it look professional. Is there a certain shovel to do this or maybe use a spade?

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on May 08, 2020

Hi Linda... this may help; https://www.easydigging.com/guide/trenching-guide.html

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on May 08, 2020

A lawn edging tool will help you get the clean lines your looking for. :)

• Janice Janice on May 08, 2020

You might want to place stakes at each end of the area you wish to trench and run string from each of the stakes (lengthwise) to keep the area straight and the same width. Tools won't matter as much as keeping the line striaght by using the strings as a gide. You could also buy metal or narrow wood edging so through time the edge remains precise to give that professional look you want.

• Mogie Mogie on May 08, 2020

Either plastic or wood edging would make this look more professional. I would use spray paint and mark where you want this to be. Then use a spade and make the actual line.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 08, 2020

You can get a trenching tool or a pick. The main thing is once it is dug, you need to have neat edges.

• Deb K Deb K on May 08, 2020

Hi Linda, is this just to separate the lawn and mulch? How about some pro edging , there are several options out there, and if you don't want to do actual edging you could do rock in the trench over landscape fabric. Here are a few ideas for you to check out.

homeguides.sfgate.com/make-separation-between-grass-mulch-63516.html

I like this brick idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZmR4A0-1ZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pX0k-3des

• Cindy Cindy on May 09, 2020

Hi Linda. A flat head shovel will make perfectly straight edges. It's a nice tool to use for this purpose. Good luck Linda. Stay healthy and well.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 09, 2020

Hi! My grandfather used a tool like this, and his gardens were gorgeous. You can buy them in stores in the gardening department:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074Y9M99X/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_XhKTEbXVZA554

• Linda Linda on May 09, 2020

Thank you I’m going to try it

• Betsy Betsy on May 09, 2020

Hi Linda: What I use is a sod shovel. It has a flat edge and makes a nice slice. What you do, is make a chalk line, or use a hose, to outline the area you want to cut. Then, cut about 3 inches in front of the line, about 4 inches deep, and then again right next to the line, at an angle towards the first cut, meeting it. Don't pull the dirt out yet, but continue the length you want to dig out. Then, cut a line from each front and back. Cut these lines about 8 inches apart, all the way down, from each end. Then, you can lift these sections out easily and neatly. You can change the dimensions to your liking, but this is what I do. You can then fill with mulch or not. After a few days, I will pour a mixture of 1 gallon of white vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes. This keeps weeds from growing in the trench. Good luck

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on May 10, 2020

What you do is put the shovel in between the grass and the mulch backwoods then pull the dirt out and leave a slanted ditc( and do that all along the grass and mulch line .