How to Make a Curved Mask Pattern Without a Printer

$0

On my last tutorial, I showed how to make a curved mask using craftpassion’s patterns. Some people didn’t have a printer or their printer wasn’t working so I came up with a way to make a curved mask without a printer using common household supplies. This pattern isn’t identical to craftpassion’s but similar.

I started with a string

I started using a string to measure how far up my nose, I wanted the mask to go and how far under my chin.

I used a sheet of narrow lined notebook paper to create my pattern. I went to the fourth line and made a dot.

Then I went over 5 1/2 inches and made another dot. I used my straight edge to connect the two dots.

Then up 4 inches and made another dot and connected the two dots.

At the top of my page, at line 7, I made a dot 5/8’s of an inch down. (This dot makes a size for my face size. You might need to adjust your dot placement to fit your face.)

At this point, your paper will look like this. I added a picture at the end of the tutorial to show how the string relates to the dot at 7 and the bottom dot.

To make my curves, I used an 8 1/2 inch salad plate.

I used the plate to draw a curve from line 7 to the dot on line 4.

At this point, your pattern looks like this.

Using the plate again, I drew a curve from line 7 and the top dot.

Here is what the finished pattern looks like.

Cut two patterns, one for the main fabric and one for the lining.

You will adjust one pattern by cutting 1 inch off the right hand side to create your lining pattern.

With the patterns, you will cut your fabric and place right sides together. I give full directions on my other tutorial and you can find that at this link.

https://www.hometalk.com/44289872/new-face-mask-tutorial-curved-version

So here are the two masks side by side, similar but not the same. The top one is using craftpassion’s pattern.

I ended up making a smaller size by moving the top two dots down by 1/2 inch each. I show that in more detail on my video.

Here are two of my masks... a larger size (the one in the tutorial) and a smaller one that is 1/2 inch smaller.

I hope this tutorial is some help to those of you that do not have access to a printer.

Here is the best way to show how the string measurement relates to your pattern.

Measurements in relation to face

Here is a picture that shows how the measurements relate to your face. Remember to add seam allowances to your measurements. Most people use 1/4 Inch seam allowance, so when you measure your face, add 1/2 inch To your measurements to cover the seam allowances at each end of your measurement.

• Sheila Ryan

Why not just go to Instructibles.com or any of the numerous sites online & print their patterns out? Saved a lot of time!

• Mary McDonald

Yeah, it’s easy with a printer but believe it or not there are a ton of people without access to a printer. These people unfortunately must live in the dark ages, where all you have is a pencil, paper, ruler and something called innovation. 😄

• Snuggles

hi.....where can you get elastic or what can you u subs in place of it

• Sherry

What do you use for the lining ? I heard yesterday that people are now using vacuum cleaner bags because they can’t find the right material.

• Julie

i watched a video where someone did an aerosol test on different cloths and filters. I used aerosol spray on my spare blue shop vac filters that I had and they passed the test!