Something Cute for Your Herb Garden!

$5

I love easy and cute projects. It seems like this year we are spending a lot of time in our garden. The hubby plants the herb garden and I use painted stones to add a little bit of interest.

Gather your supplies.

Supplies

I find smooth rocks while walking Abby. 🐶 You can also purchase them online or buy a bucket of stones from a landscaping business. I used a variety of small paintbrushes and a few colors of paint from my stash.

Paint the center.

Easy to paint

I decided not to paint the entire rock. It gives it a more natural look. Pick a paint brush small enough to do the job. I use paint samples purchased from Lowe’s hardware. I painted a somewhat oval shape following the contour of the rock leaving some space at the edge.

Add extra detail.

Extra detail

Using a toothpick that had the tip cut off I made white dots and dashes around the colored center. I used the end of a small paint brush for larger dots. Have fun experimenting with this.

Second color

I love this color!

It might be nice to have two different color plant markers. I especially love this green color. It did need two coats to get it dark enough. I only needed one coat of the red.

Lettering and finishing the stones.

TaDa!

I used a short bristled fine paint brush to paint the name of the plant. Free hand and not at all perfect but just right for this project. Next time I’ll use fine tipped paint markers that I ordered. Can’t wait! I then used a sealer to get each stone ready for the outdoors.

Oregano

Planted oregano.

Basil.

Sliced fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil and balsamic vinegar. A great summer salad.

Abby

Abby always has to get in the picture!!

Happy Mail

I made a set for my daughter and used the small flat rate postal box to mail them to her. Just a little surprise to brighten up her day and her garden.

• Leslie

Hi. Did you use water-based (latex or acrylic paint)? Would acrylic paint work? Also, what kind of sealer did you use? Thank you.

• Lauraleedaydreams

I used latex but you can use either. I just ordered water based paint pens. I read they are great to paint rocks. But I haven’t used them yet. I used an outdoor (plaid folk art) gloss sealer. But I’m sure you can use any kind of outdoor clear finish. I hope this helps.