What should I do?

BetsyElla ChapmanCJ
+17

I have a small are between my shed and fence and I don’t know what to do with it. The pictures show just about how much sun it gets, which is close to none. I am open to any and all suggestions on what can be done. Trying to get any ideas to start planning while we are redoing the fence and shed. Thank you!

• Maura White

You mentioned you are re-doing shed and fence - does that mean re-building? Could you make shed bigger or fence smaller? Or are you looking for like a ground cover plant that likes shade?

• Lacie

Yes we are replacing the rotted areas and painting the shed and looking into some sort of privacy fence. To be honest I don’t know what I’m looking for, I just hate the wasted space. I feel like it has potential to look much better than this, I just don’t know where to start.

• Franb

I'd plant ferns. They like shade.

• Mogie

You could get a roll of bamboo fencing and actually tie that to the fence. That would give you more privacy. That would be a nice area in the summer heat since it is shaded. You could put pavers down and make this an seating area. Add some chairs and a small table. Amazon has some beautiful outdoor wall art and that would look great on the side of the shed. I am going to order some myself (love the butterflys).

Of course why not paint the shed first and repair the rotten boards toward the bottom before the rot gets worse.

• Lacie

I like this idea, thank you! Replacing the wood and painting is definitely first on my list!

• There are plenty of plants that like shade. Visit your local nursery to learn about plants that grow well in your area.

• Gk

You could fill in that area with pea gravel or smaller rock. Any water would still drain through the rock and week control could be taken care of with chemicals or a more natural alternative like vinegar. You could still plant some ferns if you used some in ground plastic garden edging or bricks/blocks to separate an area for the ferns. Adding rain gutter to your shed roof will help keep the water away from the side of your shed.

• BetsyRambo

Put down heavy plastic contractors bags and pin them before doing gravel so no weeds. But a drainage trench with perforated pvc pipe under that gravel to divert water away

• Libbie B

This could be a cute little shaded area for sitting. I'd think about a fence and add some shade loving plants. It could be a lovely oasis.

• Redcatcec

The pea gravel would be a great place to start, it will help with the muddy conditions there. Pavers would be a step up from the pea gravel if you want to commit to a more permanent ground cover.

One thing to consider is to have the tree trimmed, that would add more sunlight and keep conditions drier.

Lots of potential here, great project, enjoy the planning.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Pea gravel or some other material that won't hold moisture. Then you could put some shade loving plants in pots settled into the gravel.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Is there much privacy there? Would it be a nice spot to put a hammock or something to relax in? Maybe with pea gravel and a border of shade living plants.

• Lacie

There really isn’t, not until I put some sort of privacy fence.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Lacie, have you thought of planting hostas? Hostas love shade, spread or can be spit to fill in areas. Good luck.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Lacie, that looks like the ideal spot for Clivias, ferns or Begonias. I'm not sure what your soil conditions are like but you can plant them in containers. Perhaps with the ferns in the center, surrounded by fuchsia and hosta, and then then some shorter plants like impatiens or forget me not. The containers will also hide/disguise the fence.

• Janice

Hi Lacie, your shaded area is a real opportunity to do some fun decorating and have a very private space. As othr's have suggested a quick privacy fence would be a roll of bamboo fencing zip-tyed to the current fence. It is usually about 6' tall so would provide great privacy. I'd suggest one or two comfortable outdoor chairs and a side table too to make a cool spot to enjoy this summer. Here's a link to some great ideas too which shows how gravel or pavers could keep that newly redone shed from having future rotting issues near the bottom. Hope you are inspired.

https://www.thespruce.com/shade-garden-ideas-4165708

• CJ

I think planting a garden would be cool! For the ones that like shade, you could build a cover over the top. Don't over do it, you also might want to put a door on the shed to get through it all.

• Ella Chapman

Hi Lacie, You could make and outdoor swing out of some old pallets https://www.hometalk.com/10845487/diy-swinging-outdoor-bed, gravel to keep clean and provide good drainage, plant shade loving plants like Hostas, impatias, pansies, begonias and maybe a stone or cinder block wall and have a waterfall by the tree. https://www.hometalk.com/9086174/q-how-to-finish-off-the-wall-part-of-a-waterfall For privacy A bamboo fence would be nice.

Hi Lacie: That would make a perfect sitting area for the summer, what with the shade and all. I'd put down some mulch and put shade loving plants around the edges and the concrete area I'd clean that off really good, paint it to look like a rug and put some chairs and a table out there. Then, I'd kick up my feet, have some sweet tea and grab a good book and enjoy the day. Good luck