Dahlia Wreath

$10
1 Day

Did you see the wreath I made to finish off my Scrap Floor Wall Art project? I received a ton of requests for a tutorial so here you go – an easy Dahlia Wreath!

You’ll need: (affiliate link proceeds on my blog are all donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations):

* A large piece of cardboard

* Pencil

* A piece of twine or string

* Scissors

* A hot glue gun

* An empty planter or other circular object. This should be about 10 inches smaller in diameter than you’d like your wreath to be. For example, I want my wreath to be 30 inches across so I’m using a 20 inch planter.

* Paper - you can use printer paper, scrapbook or craft paper, heavy duty wrapping paper, or even pages from an old book. I don’t recommend anything too flimsy, like tissue paper, as it needs to be able to hold its shape and not crush easily.

*Utility knife

*Ruler

*Self healing mat... or paper cutter (instead of the utility knife, ruler, and mat for quick work of the cutting step).

First, use your circular object to trace a circle on the cardboard. Cut out your circle with the scissors.

Create a loop with the twine or string and tie a knot with the ends. Place the loop so it sets at the outer edge of the cardboard circle. Apply a generous amount of hot glue over the knot and lower part of the twine.

Next, cut out squares of paper that measure about 4 inches on each side. The squares don’t need to be an exact four inches however they do all need to be the same, whatever size you go with. I’m pointing this out because printer paper and many books are 8 and a half inches.  If you are using these kinds of paper, it’ll be easier to cut the pages in half, resulting in a 4 and a quarter inch square. Try not to go any larger than 4 and a half inches.

You’ll need quite a few paper squares – my 20 inch piece of cardboard will need 328 squares to make all of the petals.

Create cones by wrapping each square so that it has an open end and a closed, pointed end. Secure with hot glue.

Once you have a pile of paper cones, begin gluing them to the cardboard circle. Glue down each closed end and position the cone so that the open end’s point is in the middle. Leave a small space and glue down the next one.  

Continue all the way around for the first layer.

For the second layer, glue in between the cones of the first layer.

Continue gluing in this pattern for all additional layers.  

The cones will begin to layer at more of an angle as you go.

Carefully glue the last few in the middle.

Once the glue has cooled, the wreath is ready to hang!

Watch the step-by-step video tutorial here! I also donate my YouTube proceeds to no-kill shelters and rescue organizations so I would be so greateful if you watched, liked, subscribed, and shared ❤

OnTheFly...DIY

• Cindy

BEAUTIFUL !!! TFS I am curious if printer paper would absorb a watercolor edge to give the wreath more of a dahlia look? I have never worked with watercolors, but I do love the blurry effect rather than the sharper painted effects, especially with flowers. Also does anyone know if origami paper would be too heavy...just trying to cheat on all of the cutting, LOL . I do intend on trying this very pretty and easy craft. I will try to post pics. 🎍😊

• Libby

You could use watercolor paper. Buy a large pad and cut it into a bunch of squares. It would have more body too.

• Grace

It's very beautiful, but I'm not sure about dust/spider webs collecting in the cones/crevices.

• Dianne
    Yesterday

I made one of these yrs. ago. Pink & orange - it turned out stunning. I thought I was brilliant when I thought to spray it well with a sealant before setting it outside on my covered porch wall. It was glorious...for about a week. Then it started to sloooowwwly "melt". The paper absorbed the humidity and they drooped and looked horrid. Keep this one inside. After all your hard work and effort, you might as well enjoy it for a few yrs. As for dust and bugs? Even outside, I didn't have any (but it wasn't there for long). Use a swiffer duster on it once/wk. and you should be fine. It makes an amazing looking pc. of art for any wall in your home. Just keep it inside!!