Quality of looks in paint?

Libbie BJohnavallance82Betsy
+7

Thinking of painting my 1987 double wide mobile home which is wood material. Question is would I get the same quality look painted as if I had vinyl siding on my home. And what is the best type of paint to purchase for this.

• Gk

How your final paint job will look could depend on the condition of the wood siding that you have now. You don't mention what is on that wood now. Has it already been painted? Stained? Are there areas that are peeling? You might have to do some prep work before you paint and make any repairs first. A good quality exterior paint should do the trick and look good. Sherwin Williams makes an excellent exterior paint that they say lasts for 25 years before you have to repaint. Yes it can be expensive but so worth it. I am going on 12 years with that paint and it still looks like new.

• Redcatcec

Behr (at Home Depot) makes a good exterior paint, your paint project will be as good as the prep work you do, do not skimp there.

• Dianacirce70

Wood plank that is used on mobile homes will never look like vinyl, but you can still make it look good. Use a good quality exterior paint. Using a better quality paint will allow less coats and it will last longer.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Dorene, this video might help and give you some tips... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy5p_b11WsQ

• Kathy Gunter Law

You need to get a paint that formulated for wood rather than vinyl. For exterior paint, Ace Hardware's is the best I have found. Although I love Behr paint, I've had issues with their exterior paint peeling. Valspar is slightly better but still peels.

• Chloe Crabtree

A high quality outdoor latex paint is your best choice for this. Wood is so superior to vinyl siding, I think it will look great! Just don't go cheap, quality paint will make all of the difference AND you need a good coat of bonding primer before you paint.

• Janice

A good quality latex paint should work well on your wood exterior home. Generally wood is preferable to vinyl, but if you like the vinyl look, then that's the way to go and you shouldn't have to worry about repainting ever again. Remember prep work is the key with an excellent paint finish

Hi Dorene: Paint is cheaper than vinyl, but vinyl looks better and lasts longer. If you do decide to paint, get a good quality exterior paint and sand the surface and fill any holes that are there. Then prime and paint. Depending on how much sun, wind and rain you have hitting your home will depend on how long the paint will look good. If you can afford vinyl, I'd go that route. Get a dependable company to put it on, not Joe from next door, so that you will have some recourse if things go pear shaped in the future. Good luck

• Johnavallance82

Hello Dorene,

Yes you could get the same quality look if you did it well, ie: Clean down and remove any mould etc. Fill any imperfections, sand , Prime, 2 coats undercoat and give at least 1 coat of a quality Gloss paint paint, using a Brush, Roller or Spray system. Nb: It will need to be inspected every year and refinished every 3-5 years.

• Libbie B

The secret is to prep the surface throughly. I like to use Sherwin Williams exterior paints. I've had a lot of success with them.