$20 Kid-Friendly Pink Dresser Rehab

$20

How we rehabbed an ugly old dresser for under $20 and turned it into a pink dresser perfect for a princess! Easy painted dresser rehab project that kids can help with.

Before and after

How to involve your little one in a furniture rehab for their own room!

Dresser before

Here is the solid wood dresser we found at a local resale store. It was nicotine stained and clearly outdated.

Remove old hardware

The first step was to remove the old hardware. Since this dresser was for my daughter's room, I gave her a screwdriver and let her go for it.

Cover and tape top

The nicest part of this dresser was the white laminate top. We didn't want to paint it so I measure poster board to cover it and secured it with painter's tape.

Pick a paint color

My little picked this lovely gloss "Candy Pink" spray paint for her dresser. We bought two cans but turns out we probably could have made do with just one.

Clean dresser and sand drawer fronts

I gave my daughter a sanding sponge and let her lightly sand the drawer fronts. Since we were spray painting it really didn't need much work. Then I gave her a damp rag and had her wipe down all of the surfaces of the dresser.

Spray paint the dresser

This is the one thing my daughter couldn't help with. She couldn't push down the nozzle and I didn't want her exposed to the fumes so I did the spray painting for her.

Attach new hardware

I let her shop on Amazon for new pulls for her dresser. She knew she wanted something gold to complement the pink and here is what she picked.

I gave her the screwdriver and let her do it herself.

After picture

Here is the completed dresser. it is absolutely gorgeous! Perfect for a little girl's room.

Leah Althiser

• Pineapple

You didn’t indicate how you cleaned the dresser of all the cigarette odor. So you used just a regular can of spray paint for this? No topcoat?

• Cheryl Biermann

Brilliant letting your little help. She's going to be independent one day! I like the dresser too, but thought I would give kudos for the good parenting too.

• Kc Nordquist

I am so delighted that you had your daughter do so much of the work, and let her choose paint color and hardware. That's the way to help raise an independent girl!

• Leah Althiser

Thank you Kc! Hoping to get her more involved - especially on her own stuff!

• Joanie

Your little girl is really cute and she did a pretty job on HER dresser. I know she loved what she was able to do. Great job!!

• Kelli Cook

Too much pink. Break it up with decoupaged doors....