Get Free Fuschia Plants From Cuttings

$5

Fuschia plants are stunning with beautiful blooms. Tender varieties tend to have larger blooms and some of the giant varieties have flowers as large as your hand! They are great in a summer garden but need frost protection. A great way of increasing your number of plants is by taking cuttings. I will show you how here.

Cut some young healthy growing shoots from your fuschia plants. Cut about 4 inch lengths off. Place them in a plastic bag as you cut them off to prevent them drying out.

Take each cutting in turn and remove all the lower leaves, leaving very few at the top of the shoot. This prevents the cutting from losing too much moisture through its leaves.

Place the cutting into the water in a glass or jar. If you want to know what plant it is from make sure that you label your water container. Leave the container in a light place but not direct sunlight. Roots should start to appear on the stems quite quickly (in about a week or two).

Once your cutting has a reasonable amount of root on it you can plant it up in some multi-purpose compost.

Fill a small plant pot with multi-purpose compost and make a small hole in the top using a dibber (or in my case a pencil).

Place the fuschia cutting in the hole and firm it in. Repeat with your other cuttings. Then keep the young plants watered and frost free over winter. In spring you will have many new healthy plants ready for your containers and baskets for free!

You can do this with any fuschias and I recommend taking a few cuttings of each variety that you want to increase stocks of. Not all your cuttings will be successful.

This is a great way of gardening on a budget. If you need more guidance on gardening on a budget take a look at my website at christines-crafts.com/gardening.

Christine | Christines-crafts

• Barb

I didn’t realize that this can be done, so you placed them in zip lock bag With water for how long until they grow roots. Ty and I look forward to your reply.

• Sylvia Picone

Read through the instructions again Place them in a plastic bag as you cut them off to prevent them drying out. Then keep reading, you will come to the part about placing them into water.

• Tammy

If this is done now (May), will they grow enough to enjoy the flowers this summer?

• Linda Nolin

Does pruning the plant make it fuller? I have heard many different opinions...how often do I water it? Lastly.....once the cuttings mature enough to pot...how manycuttings for a nice full plant when mature??

• I find that most plants become fuller if you prune them but you need to let them flower too so after a spring prune I tend to leave mine all summer to flower.

All my fuschias are in the garden or pots so they get watered wither when they are very dry (in the garden) or daily in the pots. If it is very hot where you are they may need watering twice a day.

I pot my cuttings on individually in small pots so that they form good strong roots and do not get disturbed when potted on again. In a pot for summer display I usually add them to other plants like begonias and petunias so it largely depends on your pot and if you are planting anything else in there.

I hope this helps but just ask again if I can help further

• Hol

Thank you! I can't wait to try this. I've never tried before. It's fun to watch things happen. My favorite flower as well.

• Susan Grekso

Never knew this but will try