How to Create a Patina Background Using Paintable Wallpaper and Paint

$20

I recently purchased a used armoire for $50. It had a huge hole in the back; probably for a TV at one time. I wanted to use it as a hutch. I removed the top doors, and created a pretty diy background.

I'm going to show you how to create a

beautiful background using paintable wallpaper and paint. This background can be used for whatever kind of project you want! So easy!

Estimated cost will fluctuate depending what you have on hand and have to purchase.

Plywood

I decided particle board would be the easiest material to use to cover the hole in the back of the armoire. My husband purchased a sheet at Lowes, and cut it down to size.

Attaching plywood

we attached the plywood on the inside of the armoire using a cordless drill and screws.

screws

we places a screw in each corner, and one in the center at both the top and bottom of the plywood.

This is a view from the outside back of the armoire. It gives you an idea of the hole we covered.

Paintable wallpaper

I had this roll of paintable wallpaper leftover from another project. I liked the pattern, and decided it would be great for this project.

cutting the wallpaper

I measured the area I planned to cover with the wallpaper. After doing so, I cut two pieces of wallpaper, one for the top and one for the bottom. I made sure to line them up, before painting to see if they matched up right.

Painting the wallpaper

I wanted a patina, tin-ish kind of look. To achieve this, I first applied House&Canvas chalk paint, in River Rock, to both sheets of wallpaper. This is a really pretty grey; and was perfect for this project!

You can find a discount code for House&Canvas paint on the blog below:

https://www.houseandcanvas.com/diy/2020/05/how-to-create-a-faux-patina-using-paint.html

After I applied the grey paint, the wallpaper looked like this. I let it dry completely before applying the white paint.

Applying white paint

in order to create a patina look, I applied a good amount of paint on my round brush. I wanted it to have a textured feel; and decided using a blotting effect would work.

Blotting the paint

I literally blotted the white paint on top of the grey. I did this all over both sheets of wallpaper.

Finished effect

after the paint has dried, you should have a pretty patina appearance. I used House&Canvas clear wax to seal it.

Completed project

I used tacky glue to attach the wallpaper. I chose this method because I had it on hand, and it holds up well.

I really love the white patina against the wood!

To see more: https://www.houseandcanvas.com/diy/2020/05/how-to-create-a-faux-patina-using-paint.html

• Athena la roux

I hope you have a window to make shutters out of the doors or something cool to

do w them. Looks great.

and why did some Cut that huge hole? Makes no sense.

• Kevin

This wallpaper is called "Lincresta"? I think this is how to spell it?

Lasts for decades hold paint well.

GREAT job on your hutch!

Kevin

• Lorraine

I love this! I'm inspired to try it on an old wreck of a small dining room table I'm refurbishing. Do you think it would hold up if I used an adequate amount of varathane? Was thinking I could even get a glass cover for it. Thanks!

• Kathy

Glass would do it for sure. I have a roll of this paper I bought at a garage sale.