$0 Shiplap and a Laundry Room Makeover
If you have a Sharpie, a wall, and a love for shiplap- check out this tutorial!
This project is great for a wall that doesn't get close attention or that people stand a few feet away from.
My laundry room/space (a closet in our bathroom) needed a makeover. My first idea was to try out some stick-on subway tiles on the whole back wall, but this $0 option was obviously the winner. After all, I'm the only one spending any time here!
Here is our laundry area "before" photo! Yikes... Good thing there are closet doors to cover this up! For this space makeover, I planned to:
- Put in shelves between the cupboards
- Spackle and paint
- Put handles on the cupboards
- Make some sort of cover for the laundry sink
- Add subway tiles or shiplap to the back wall
After pricing out the stick-on subway tiles (even the really cheap ones), I decided it wasn't worth it for the back of a closet. After some searching, I came across this Sharpie Shiplap idea and had to try it out!
What you'll need for this project:
- Black Sharpie
- Level stick
- Pencil/grey pencil crayon
- Your wall painted white (preferably a matte/flat white)
Paint & Sharpie
- Paint your wall with a matte/flat white. This will help make it look more convincing- a glossy paint won't look like shiplap.
- Measure down the wall and tick off every 6 or 8 inches. These are standard heights for shiplap boards.
- Using your level and a Sharpie, draw your horizontal lines across the wall!
Using a pencil, I drew on little knots and grain lines on the "boards". Use your Sharpie to draw nails down the wall every few feet or wherever you would normally put nails to hang the boards. This makes it look a lot more real!
I also drew a line down the corners on the walls or anywhere where a "board" would end to look like a shadow/gap.
Enjoy your faux shiplap wall! Show it to some friends and family, and see if anyone notices that it's fake ;)
For more ideas and ongoing projects, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
Facebook: Lauren Ann Design
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info