Mid Century Modern Dresser Upcycled

$50

I found this dresser on my local Facebook marketplace. It was a basset mid century modern dresser that was yellowish and blue. That didn't concern me as I knew I was going to refinish it. It seemed like the original finish but couldn't believe it was originally this color.. so I did a Google search to see if I can find what it looked like it the 50's and 60's.

Before one drawer sanded

Sand sand sand

Original

While I couldn't find the exact dresser, i found another Bassett piece with its original white finish. So I guess time and sunlight yellowed this dresser over time. There was one thing to do is get to sanding.

Started sanding with 120 grit and it worked nicely and took off the top layer of paint. After 120 grit I did 220 then 320.

Spray the hardware

I wanted to keep the original hardware as i felt like they were cool mid century knobs but didn't like the baby blue color so I decided to spray it with rustoleum black spray paint. If you screw the knobs it a box before you paint them you can get them from all angles.

Stain

All drawers are sanded

once the drawers were all sanded I stained them with minwax penetrating stain. I actually mixed 2 colors (dark walnut and grey) because I wanted a grayish brownish look.

Paint

mohegan sage

I got a new paint color and I wanted to use it on this dresser as I knew it would go well with the black knobs. I applied the paint with a foam roller. The color i used is Mohegan sage by Benjamin Moore. but the paint I used was valspar furniture paint. ( you can get it tinted to any benjamin moore color)

Once was all dry (see dry time on your paint can)

I applied a policrylic clear coat and all done.

Final product

if you like this transformation please follow my Instagram @andreapalmai where you can see more pieces transform.