Yep, I Made a Mask Too, so I Can Get Groceries.

$5

Places are starting to open up since all the virus scare and a lot are requiring a mask. So I figured I needed to make one. I am a woodworker and I don't want to use my shop masks to go to the grocery store. And even though I am not a seamstress I was able to make this mask!

I combined two different patterns to make this one. It was quick and pretty easy. I also have a video showing how I made it.

I googled around and there are mask patterns everywhere. I found one I liked with a nifty filter area but it wasn't comfortable. I found another but it had no filter. So I took the two ideas and I put them together to make a comfy mask that also has an opening type pocket for placing a filter. Here is the link to the free pattern that I used, it is available at Eat Pray Create.

Aslo, I tried this with heavy material and discovered that using lighter weight material works better, so I used a t-shirt and a bandana. 

Here is how I made it:

I cut the tee shirt into two 8x12 pieces. And on the 12 inch side, smack dab in the middle of that 12 inches I sewed straight toward the center of the rectangle for approximately 2-3 inches, then left some space and sewed another 2-3 inches to the opposite side. 

I ironed it to make it nice and flat but you don't need to. Then you fold one of the 8 inch sides up.

Iron if you want then flip it over.

And now fold down one of the flaps on the side that now has 3 layers of fabric.

Iron this if you want too. You now should have a small opening, which will be the opening to the pocket where you can place a filter.

Next, fold this piece in half so the opening is on one side. Lay the pattern from Eat Pray Create so the front (curved side) is along the edge with the opening.

Trace the pattern and cut it out but make sure you do not separate the pieces that are on the opening edge. It should look like a butterfly when it is all cut out and unfolded.

Now fold the bandana and lay the pattern on it and trace the pattern.

Cut the bandana making two separate pieces.

Put those together and sew along the curved edge.

Take the t- shirt piece with the opening and sew along the curved edge going up above the filter opening and down below the filter opening. Sewing as you did the bandana but making sure you do not sew the filter opening shut.

Now turn the bandana right side out and put the bandana and the t-shirt pieces together. Making sure the finished edges are face to face.

Cut two pieces of elastic, I used some headbands, You could use hair ties or even rubber bands I suppose.

And now you sow them in between the t-shirt and the bandana.

And then sew all the way around the bandana. Making sure to sew in the other elastic on the other side.

Then cut off any excess material and hanging threads.

Then flip it right side out by pulling everything through the filter opening. Make sure to push out the corners.

You could stop here because the mask is basically done.

But I am going to add a little wire so that you can snug it up at the bridge of the nose, and sew an extra line around the edges of the mask to give it a little more strength.

Measure approximately 2" of wire, I used 20 gauge, and I curled the ends.

Approximate where it's going to go and sew some stitch lines at the ends.

The wire will fit inside of these lines.

Then insert the wire through the filter pocket opening and fit it in between those lines. Sew right along the bottom of the wire and keep going along the entire edge of the mask for reinforcement. You can also add a pleat in between the ear loop to snug up the mask even more. I forgot to do it on this mask, but I will add in a picture of one with a pleat.

And here is one with a pleat.

Clip off any hanging threads and the mask is all done. Use whatever filter material you like!

The free pattern for the mask I made can be found here: Eat Pray Create

If I can sew one of these then anyone can!

Take care everyone and happy grocery shopping!

:), Cy

• Nandini

The instructions are not clear, is it better where you download the pattern

• Lisa Fortner

Why does the person who writes these ideas take forever to get to the main idea??? Just get to the point!!!!

• Susie

Lisa, chill. Have a glass of wine and meditate. We are all going thru this.

• I used pellon in the masks I made because I had a good supply handy & it is quite washable & could be sewn into the mask. I understand Fabricland is opening...in Beddington? They sell it by the metre.

• Michele

The problem with this pattern is that your sewing machine needle could break trying to go the thick pony tail holder. Believe me, I know. I've broken 2 machine needles trying to thick rubber. I've sewn 426 masks, Olson style with a filter pocket and a nose wire. I only use elastic.

• Grandmasue10

I've made this type of mask and left the sides open to put in a filter. For the pleated ones, you can leave the top open partway to insert the filter. PS paper towels and Kleenex type tissues are fine for filters. My friend tried a 3rd layer of thinner fabric on the pleated one, but said her machine wouldn't take 3 layers pleated (=6 layers)

• Kelli
      Yesterday

You can use the blue roll of “shop towel”-style paper towels too!