Complete Bath Makeover Under $1k!

$900
1 Week

We bought our home 2 years ago and finally decided it was time to tackle a bathroom! We choose the smaller bath because it’s what guests use when visiting and has more traffic than our Master bath. This is also the bathroom our 2 young girls use, so I wanted to incorporate decor that was brighter and bolder than my usual style throughout the rest of the house.

Despite being a full bath, it is pretty small so trying to make this space seem brighter was key to helping it feel bigger. The current dark wood contributed to making this space feel small.

Eliminating the medicine cabinet was also something I wanted to do to free up the corner and give it a cleaner look.

First Up—Flooring!

The floors were my starting point and my first time stenciling! The original tile we had was boring and a little out of date, but we did not want to spend $1k plus to demo and re-tile. Instead I painted and stenciled over the existing tile for just $60! You can see my previous post for detail on how I tackled this.

Secondly—Shiplap!

To make this space fun for our girls, I decided to incorporate a coastal theme. Of course, shiplapping was a must! Originally, I was going to just do the wall behind the vanity and toilet but after starting we decided to tackle the entire room. Shiplap also made it super easy to close off the medicine cabinet!

Adding a Vanity

The vertical paneling and bright white paint really open up this space!! It now feels so much larger than it is! We were able to keep our toilet and tub, which was a huge win for the budget! We picked up this new navy vanity from Lowe’s on sale for $220 including the quartz countertop (faucet sold separately).

Decor on a Budget

Now that the main components are installed, it’s time for my favorite part—style and decor! Personally I love to shop sales, so I try to be mindful of price while shopping and sometimes buy things in advance and save it for down the road. The pineapple shelf was a fun find I stashed away from a sale over a year ago! The bright shower curtain was also a previous sales purchase. I did buy a new shower rod to tie in the brass. I shopped my home for small plant decor and the blue candle, so I didn’t have to spend any money there!

The artwork is another piece I stashed away. This was actually next to nothing because it was missing the glass it was supposed to come with. Pieces I did purchase include 2 brass hooks and new Turkish towels.

Our last purchases included a new towel ring and toilet paper holder, light fixture and this modern brass mirror which might be my favorite! This was my first time incorporating brass hardware into our home and I just love how it looks with the blues. I am beyond happy with how our first bathroom renovation turned out! The flooring and walls were a lot of work, but by doing them ourselves we were able to save a lot of money on labor and as a result, completed this bathroom makeover for a decently inexpensive cost!

• Paint  (Home Depot)
  • Vanity  (Lowe’s)
  • Mirror  (Amazon)

• Cindy Bates

Hi! Great job! I was wondering about your cost for the shiplap? And also what the dimensions were for your bathroom? It looks similar in size to our front bath, that we are planning the renovation for now. Thank you!

• Rachel | Faith Hope Home

Yes plywood is much cheaper! We choose tongue and groove in here since it’s a bath and to give extra seal for moisture just in case ☺️

• Deneen Giesen

I love this. I want to redo our bathroom also. Did you opt for a ceiling light instead of a vanity light? Also, do you have a ceiling fan with light? Pictures? Please and thank you!

• Gail Guidance

Great Job!!! The stenciling looks amazing! Any suggestions on how u make it look so perfect!? I just am afraid the paint would bleed or it would be crooked!

• Kelli Cook

Looks good, would look better without the tie died curtain, makes room look busy....

• Mary McDonald

The vanity and floor are really pretty, however I must agree with Kelli about your really nice shower curtain. In the end it was your choice and the bathroom is beautiful. Great job!