Growth Chart With Vintage Marquee Numbers

$20

Looking for a creative project you can make with those amazing vintage marquee numbers? This is the project for you. You can make this in about an hour with simple supplies and it's a great way to upcycle something vintage into something pretty and useful.

What a fun idea to display on your wall.

Want to make one for your home?

Here are the step-by-step instructions.

Assemble your marquee numbers

You can find these marquee numbers anywhere. I like to look for them at thrift stores and flea markets. They are very reasonably priced and there's typically a great selection.

You'll need the numbers 1-6 for this project.

Paint the board

The measurements for this board are 1" x 10" x 6".

You can find this at your local home improvement center.

Start by priming the board.

Let dry.

Paint a coat of water-based paint on the board.

I chose the color gray, but you could paint it to match your decor as well.

After the first coat of gray dried, I went back and dry brushed a coat of slightly darker gray paint to give it some depth.

Let dry.

Mark inches and feet on the board

Measure the board in feet.

Then, on the right-hand side of the board, use a pencil to mark off every inch.

Next mark a longer line for each foot.

Leave a space to add marquee number.

Fill in pencil lines

Use black paint pen and ruler to fill in where you marked with pencil.

Line up the ruler and draw against it with the black paint pen.

Keep marking all your lines on the growth chart until you have completely filled in the pencil lines on the right-hand side.

Add marquee numbers to the chart

Line up the numbers in order on the wood. Start with one at the bottom and continue until you have gone all the way to six.

Then stick them in place.

Hang up your growth chart

Let the glue dry and hang up your growth chart on the wall.

Please note: if you are hanging up your growth chart off the floor, you'll need to adjust the numbers on the board to make sure the measurements are accurate.

There's nothing better than repurposing something and giving it a new life with a new project. This marquee vintage growth chart is the perfect project to demonstrate that.

Please be sure and leave any questions that you have about the project in the comments below.

If you liked this project, here are a few other repurposed and upcycling projects that you might like:

How to Make a Pallet Wood Letter

And this video from my YouTube Channel:

How to Create a Suede Look on Wood Using Paint

Thistlewood

• Barbara Henning

Is that supposed to be a 1" x 10" x 6' board?

• Ellen

I'm quite sure it is 6 feet, not 6 inches. :-)

• Carolyn

I like the numbers but have never seen those kind...where can I find them?

• Arnoldsvillegirl

Those look like the numbers and letters that they put on signs outside of businesses years ago.

• Amber

Awwwww!!!! You don’t know HOW hard it was to have moved twice while the girls were growing up and having to leave their growth chart that we just marked on the trim (family tradition) behind. I wanted to rip the original trim piece right off the door frame.... but I didn’t. This is so cute! Our oldest is 12 and officially taller than me 5’3 1/2 (which isn’t much, I know...but still😔) so she’d actually love this idea too considering she giggles at the mere mention of someone asking her how tall she is now. 😂 I tease her back though with a retort of sass reminding her that before she learned she was taller than me, she was still telling folks her height in inches. 😂

Anyway, great job. I’ve seen others but I like your version the best.💗

• Flipturn

One suggestion- add in more increments to particularily the lower numbers, especially if you have toddlers in the household. They will be able to see and understand their 'progress' more readily.

Also, using a different colored marker for each member of the family will avoid any present, or future, disputes! (We all know how siblings like to argue with each other.)